Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked Some Wings

Options
Rib Fan
Rib Fan Posts: 305
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friend wanted me to smoke some wings for a get-together. So went out and got 15 pounds and dusted them up and got the large holding steady at 275.
img_0330.jpg
img_0329.jpg
On went the wings using indirect raised grill for space.
img_0331.jpg
img_0333.jpg
img_0334.jpg
I then sauced the top batch.
img_0335.jpg
Let them go for another 20 minutes or so and resauced and put on raised direct on small to get that charred flavour that I prefer.img_0336.jpg
img_0337.jpg
img_0339.jpg
img_0341.jpg
Fifteen pounds of wings completed.
img_0342.jpg

Comments

• PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I can't see the photos... Is it me? or are they posted wrong?

Cheers!
  • BigMojo
    BigMojo Posts: 20
    Options
    Looks Great! I was thinking of doing the same this weekend...what was the total cook time?
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    It is strange you say that. I can see RibFans fine, but there have been some other posts where I just get the window with the red X in the upper left corner and no picture. I thought it was the server that was hosting the pictures that was keeping me from seeing them.

RibFan, great looking wings. How long was the indirect cook at 275? I am going to do a batch this weekend and have been debating indirect vs direct cook.
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    That's precisely what I see... a small beautiful red x...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    They look great to me... :P
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Look mighty good. Outside of saucing them did you flip all 15 lbs of em???

Thanks,
    bordello
  • Rib Fan
    Options
    This was a bit of what I call a cerebral cook (had to figure out logistics of how it was to be performed). I forgot to mention I used cherry chunks and apple for smoke.
    I put all the wings on and let them go for 40 minutes. I then took grill extender off and dumped wings in aluminum tray. This allowed me to flip/move around ones on main grill and put back on extended grid and put the wings back one.
    Left for about another 40 minutes. I then took off wings on grill extender and sauced them and returned for about another 20 minutes. I then took the wings off grill extender and resauced and put on raised direct grill of small egg. Small was set for about 375.
    I just did this till all the sauced wings were removed from grill extender and then I sauced wings on the bottom and put them on the grill extender for another 20 minutes. My reasoning being that the temp is higher on top layer hence the longer cook for the wings located on the bottom level.
    Same proceedure then for grilling resauced wings.
    I dont put a lot of emphasis on cooking times I go by when they are done to my standards.
    Hope this helps answer the questions posed and thanks for the compliments....it was a fun cook (the rum didnt hurt either :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks for this post, RF. Wing cook times are controversial around here, varying from just a few minutes to an hour or even two. Yours look great, and you cooked them for about what I would.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info, that is a lot of flipping, great job.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Good looking cook! Looks like it was a juggling act... :)
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Options
    Man O Man that hurt! My tongue just knocked a hole in my cheek!
    They look great to me. Can't wait to get mine.
  • Rib Fan
    Options
    Bordello and AnnaG, thanks for your comments, actually wasnt too bad once I had a "system" down for doing it. I find challenging cooks are often the most rewarding.
  • Rib Fan
    Options
    Brad, I like experimenting with different cook times etc to make a product that I am proud of. Then again, I am my own toughest critic :)
  • Rib Fan
    Options
    Egmond.....if you ever take a road trip up to Canada give me some notice and things can be arranged.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great idea about getting the char on the wings with the SBGE. I'll try that on the next time I do some chicken. BTW, your tray full of wings looks great!

Thanks!
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    The wings look great but I didn't need another reason to buy a second egg :laugh: