Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anybody used fatwood for lighting??

Options
Ex-Gasman
Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody here tried fatwood for lighting the charcoal. When I use to camp , you couldnt beat fatwood to start a fire.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am sure it would work, but the residue from the creosote might leave a bad taste behind.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Options
    ok, forgot about the smoke
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    No, but I would. That stuff is great, and you probably only need a small piece of it. As Richard mentioned, it could add an off flavor, but only if you start cooking while it is still burning. I usually start the fire at least a half hour before cooking, so I'd have no problem using fatwood. My go-to starter is the little parafin cubes (like the BGE firestarters). You only need half of one to get a nice fire.

But my new favorite is a paper towel rolled up with cooking oil. Can't remember who posted that, but it works great in a pinch!

Happy firestarting!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    this was posted a few years ago and the consensus was no.. fat wood is from the pitch pine .. pitch as in tar..turpintine is distilled from the sap of the pitch pine.. it makes a nasty black smoke .. think burning paint thinner in the egg..
  • Ex-Gasman
    Options
    That makes since, I will try paper towel and oil method.Been using just newspaper and thats not working, Thanks everyone
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    takes too long to burn off.

you want something that lights quick and burns away fast
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Paper towel and oil haven't failed me in over two years.
  • Cajun Griller
    Options
    Am I correct in my understanding that you simply "drizzle 'som cooking oil on a paper towel, roll it up,place is slightly below the lump and light? Thanks
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yup, that's about it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hey mang! What brought you out? :-)

I tried using fatwood once and it took forever for the turpentine to go away. The problem was that if you don't have it all arranged so that the fatwood will burn with lots of oxygen (good stuff, that is, oxygen) some of the fatwood will smolder for a long time. I don't think it's worth the bother.

Got any new photos of the ranch?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sleev
    Sleev Posts: 6
    Options
    A non-egg buddy gave me two sticks of fatwood to try in my egg. I smelled a stick, and it smelled of resin. HHmmm. I used one stick to light my fire for burgers. Lots of black smoke, and didn't do that good of a job. Couldn't taste any tar or pine yucks, but I was a little concerned as to what would happen. Fatwood posts on this forum are not complimentary for use in the egg. In my limited experience, I would have to agree. Stick to the GreenEgg starters, or a torch. I haven't tried the oiled paper towel,,,,,maybe next time... :woohoo: