Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strike 2 on Ribs

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2nd attempt at ribs yesterday and results were par. It appears to be 1 of those cooks that is trial and error. I cooked 260 dome with 230 grid. 3 racks of ribs in a rib rack. Cooked 7 hours and still were not pulling back from bone that much nor bending in half. I did not foil.

Cook time seems lengthy. I ran into the same issue with pulled pork about a month ago. Low and slow cooks are taking more time than anticipated. Any tips for the next try? I may try without a rib rack next time. I prefer not to foil, but will try if it truly makes a difference in a quality product. I did get a little smoke coming out from gasket area, but temp remained consistent throughout cook.

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Check the calibration of the dome thermometer. I will bet it not correct.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Try calibrating your thermometer, it may be off enough to mess up your cooks.. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    If the grid is at 230, 7 hours is plenty. How were checking both temps?

Mike
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    What kind of ribs - spares or Baby backs. Spares do take longer.

I tried my first ribs in a couple of years on Saturday. I used BB's and CWM's instructions on thirdeye's web site.

if you follow his advice, you will produce great ribs. I cooked 6 racks, cut into 12 pieces and 'piled on' my large. Cook lasted 4.5 -4 hours and ribs turned out great!

Thanks Mike and thirdeye.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    For some reason I can't get pork ribs to cook as long as folks keep saying they should. But, I have never had a bad pork rib cook.

I also can't get baby back's to bend like other pictures I have seen.

I just cook them till they are done, texture wise and temperature wise.

If you are trying to cook to time, STOP!!!

When I asked the forum I was told to get a Thermapen and cook to temperature.

The Thermapen was one of the best investments and gave me the biggest improvement in cooking results of all the toys I have purchased - on and off egg cooking.

On the egg you shouldn't have any problems with great pork either. Sliced or pulled.

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I've experimented so much with ribs...for baby backs, use the 3-1-1 method. It usually turns out the same all the time and is very consistent. I sauce the ribs after they've come out of the foil and finish them at the same temp until the meat "tightens up" if that makes sense. By that time, the sauce is nicely carmelized.

For pork ribs, I like to go indirect the whole time (no foil) and go anywhere from 6-7 hours. Just keep an eye on the meat separating from the bone. The bend test works just fine, and I forgot to mention that I like to trim them up St. Louis style.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i do spares, no foiling, at about 7 to 8 hours, same temps.

if they aren't done, they aren't done, and need more time.

what are you expecting for times? for me, spares at 250 take that long or longer. butts take 2 to 2-1/2 hours per pound at 250

you can speed it by foiling with braising liquid if you want
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    I agree with Clark, I have cooked baby backs twice now per the method on third eye's web site and both times they were great. Cooked them about 5-1/2 hours each time, once was 2 slabs and the the other was 3 slabs. No issues and tender meat. Did not foil the ribs.
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.

I agree on calibrating my thermometer. I will do so this weekend.

I cooked Baby backs and was planning on cooking until meat pulled away from bones and ribs bent in middle. Howoever, I ran out of "time" as it was 9:30pm and didn't want to eat at 1am.

I guess I'll give the 3-1-1 foil a try next time. What does one generally put in the foil with the ribs? Apple juice/cider vinegar? Brown sugar? Honey?

Thanks again for the replies.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Either way, if you want to call me you can I will work you threw the process no matter technique you use.

Mike
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Mike,

What internal temp are your BB ribs when considered done? I know you use the "bending criteria", but have you used a Thermapen to see what temp that was?

Thanks again for last Saturday. The leftovers were good Sunday, rewarmed!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I have never taken the temp. Your welcome and call anytime.

Mike
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Got your digits on my "Hot Line List" . :laugh: :laugh: