Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T Winter Harbor, Maine

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got home from the most wonderful morning!! I have a crappy camera and it was sightly over cast and that did not help my picture taking skills any. But long story short we are holding a work shop/retreat in Winter Harbor Maine in August. we have 4 teachers coming and about 80 students. we go in on Monday and leave on sat. they will spend their time rug hooking and learning and eating and relaxing, we hope. we do a lobster bake one night and have local entertainment that is coming that evening. It is on an old Navy base that has been taken over and turned into a education center. they just built a 125 seat auditorium that is so beautiful. the old stone and brick building in the pictures was built in the 30's by Rockefeller. the story is that the old navy base was in a prime location that was blocking the view for the summer BIG $$ people. Rockefeller built this and gave it to the Navy if they would move there so they could tear down the old one. LOL money talks and the navy walks. this is the link to the slide show of the grounds and some of the buildings. it is long and a lot of repeats as I have not deleted any yet. I will do the new page for the web site on my pc at work. I am home on my laptop right now. it is such a quiet, untouched beautiful place. all we heard was the lobster boats and the birds. it is on a big 20 mile one way loop. if you ever get to Maine it is worth the trip. it is right across the harbor from Bar Harbor and beats that by a mile in my book! hardly anyone even knows it is there. This is going to be differnt for us as I am ussually cooking for the whole group and we have it at the studio. only about half those numbers at a time but it will be weird handing so much of it over this time LOL
115.jpg
Julie the Happy Hooker
oh for those of you that are new I am a Rug Hooker. Not latch but the old fashion kind with wool strips.
below is a link to a slide show of the pics
th_228.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Options
    A couple of other things about the pics the big black rock stripes are from lave that pushed it way up through the pink granite. and yes it is pink and coral colored. It was low tide this morning and we have about 12 foot tides. the pics of the house that looks like it is on stilts shows how low the water is :) and the Name on the tags "Rugs on the Rocks" is the name of the work shop. our cruise we do every Jan is "Rugs on the Waves" LOL This coming 2010 cruise will be the 5th rug hooking cruise we have organized. I like organizing and delegating work LOL
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    hi julie am anxious to see pix but link needs password ,,, for posting slide show put cursor over pic in photobucket clic image link and copy and past as you normally do with any pic thanks.. i miss maine maybe this summer
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Options
    hmmm will that give the slide show? or can I just unlock that album?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it will give the slide show scroll down to my earlier post in answer to roger re the mini.. click the pic easier than making private and un private

click

th_march104.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Options
    can you check that for me Bill? they open for me because they are mine i guess LOL thanks for the help :cheer:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Julie that looks just like Texas except for the water and the rocks and the trees :laugh: :laugh:
    That makes me want to come your way. Very nice...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Julie,

That is sooooo pretty. My BF is from Bangor, but she and her family moved to MS a long time ago (87 I think). They seem to prefer the heat over the snow...

That is cool to have a bunch of hookers getting together... oops, I think that came out wrong... :blush:

Fyi... I am a quilter (with no time to quilt)... I totally understand about how much fun those excursions can be... I am assuming that Eggtoberfest will be like that except everyone eats a whole lot more... :)
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Nice. Just got back from Bar Harbor last week. Just didn't have time to squeeze in the ferry trip to your area. Always a next time. Still have tons of Acadia National Park to catch up on too. Here's a few of my favorite pics out of the 500 or so I took. Hard to take a bad picture in Bar Harbor.

Near Otter Cove MDI Maine
    _DSC0239.JPG

Jordan Pond Acadia N.P. MDI Maine
    _DSC0269.JPG
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    click the pic works fine i really wish i was there now bloated on lobster and wine
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL this whole country is unreal. You look at my pics and AlaskinC's and Beli's even though he is not in the usa. what a great area we all cover :)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Chris, did you go over the new big bridge with the tower? if you did you could have almost seen our eggs from there. we live just of the end of it :)
  • bitslammer
    Options
    You mean this one near Ft. Knox? Which end are you one. The one near the tower you can go up or the other?

_DSC0015-1.JPG
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Hee hee, just kidding!!! :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great photos of MDI, I lived on the island (Seal Cove)and miss all but the cold and unemployment. I'm still unemployed but a lot warmer in Ft. Myers. :laugh:

Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Julie

The work shop sounds great and the location looks perfect, but then I'm prejudiced. That area is awesome!

Great photos, at least it was only sightly over cast, that Maine weather can be a puzzle.

Gator
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    Great Pics. We've taken many a vacation in Winter Harbor. We usually go in September and the place is abandonded (just how we like it). For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the campground though. It's a privately owned campground and the guy who owns it is named Mike.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL that is it!! look at the tower and on the right there is a building about half way up it. that is Island Pool and Spa where Neil works. our house is just through the woods to the right of that, if the pic was more to the right you would have seen our flag pole. when the leaves are not out you can see the house. If I had known you were in the area you could have come to dinner :)Julie
  • bitslammer
    Options
    LOL. That's funny. If I'd have known I could have pulled out the big telephoto and zoomed in a bit.

I really enjoyed Ft. Knox. What a neat place. Just can't imagine what would have happened if someone would have tried to attack that place. The attacker wouldn't have stood much chance.

In all that trip was a good 1/2 day excursion from Bar Harbor. We made the mistake of thinking we would pick up something to eat "in town" but headed back East to BH and realized there is no town to the east of Rt3 when you head back East on 3. That did however lead us to a fantastic Mexican Restaurant in Ellsworth of all places. Probably some of the best Mexican food I've had. I had a Chicken Mole burrito and the Haddock Ceviche was great.