Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brine or not to brine

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooking first turkey breast on friday, and need some info. How important is it to brine, and any other helpful hints.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    terry,[p]Tim M's website has some good tips on turkey breast. I've only done one, and didn't care for it all that much. It was juicier than oven-cooked, but still drier than I would like. It made good sandwiches though when sliced thin.[p]I did brine the breast for 24 hours, but I still would have liked it juicer. Others have probably had more success.[p]Check out Tim's website - I guess that's my best advice for now, until others chime in.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Tim's website[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    TRex,
    Maybe try another, ask more questions. I did a brined breast and took some to my neighbors and they could not believe how juicy it was. Maybe remove it sooner, depending on temp.[p]My neighbors can't wait for me to bring the chicken or turkey.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    terry,
    I don't brine and have never had a problem with juiciness. Pecan or hickory os our wood of choice for turkey.[p]~nikki

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    terry,
    Just to add to your confusion: we almost always brine. It adds flavor AND moisture. This is followed by a a rub overnight and then roasted indirect in the egg with a fruitwood at 350 until the internal temp is 165. Good luck with your decisison, or better yet, do one each way and then let us know.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    terry,
    one of the best and most simple cooks i have done on the BGE was turkey breast.[p]i would suggest NOT brining, simply because it is incredibly moist and flavorful without it. and if you ever decide to try brining, you'll have a comparison.[p]160 in the breast and i cannot imagine a way it could have had more moisture or flavor added. brining seems superfluous, but just my ten cents (inflation)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante