Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQII Question/Problem

Options
porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried my first cook using the DigiQ II.

The pit temp prob never got above 98 degrees.

The food probe worked fine.

Here is what I did.

I put a single fire starter cube in the center of the lump. After about 10 minutes the lump surrounding the starter were lit and burning.

I attached the probe clip to the grate at the edge and closed the lid.

The fan was blowing constantly and the dome temp rose to about 300 degrees. The DigiQ II pit probe never got above 98 degrees.

What might have gone wrong?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Did you make sure the jeck was seated. It is a rather tight fit and sometimes it doesn't go all the way in
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I just spent a few minute playing the probe and jack.

The probe is seated as deeply as I can get it.

The jack gave different readings. It hit 238 and then dropped to 115 then dropped to 85 in a matter of 5 seconds.

The coals are dying and the dome reads about 250. SO the initial reading would be correct. The outside temp is about 85 degrees.

The jack made an audible click as it seated. As I twisted the jack I reading varied from 250 to 85 degrees. The only constant reading was 85.

It would give the true reading it I twisted the jack just right.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That sounds a bit odd.

You can take the q2 into the kitchen and boil some water. Check both probes. If the q2 reads correctly it was as CW said plug not tight in the jack or the probe was placed in a cool spot, but that isn't likely.

Next time clip the pit probe to the dome thermometer stem, above the read point.

When you clip to the grid clip the probe about 2" away from the food.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sounds like a contact wire in the probe jack or unit might have a cold solder joint.

GG
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

I will do more testing tomorrow.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Make sue the wire does not have any kinks.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I am guessing that the DigiQ is brand new. I would call the company and talk to them.

Good luck,

Gator