Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Chiminea

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm gearing up for football season already, and am considering getting a chiminea for our back deck. Does anyone have any insight on how the BGE Chiminea compares to those made of cast iron, stainless steel or other materials? What is the benefit of a ceramic chiminea? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Bill-the-Grill, This one's right up my alley![p]The BGE chiminea can withstand an awful lot of abuse. It does not need a bed of sand in the bottom. It can handle as many logs as your friends want to put in it and really heat things up! When you remove the chimney part you can put a grill grid/grate on top for cooking. I think that they may even sell them now with the grate, but I bought mine a grillion years ago & use the one from my mini BGR. Be careful though, unlike the BGE you can burn yourself if you touch it. My husband's scarred leg, sadly, is proof. Our large BGE came with a cover we use it for the chiminea now that the large is in a table. I don't recall if the chiminea came with a top but the large one fits on it.[p]We have had clay chimineas (easy to back over) and metal fire pits but I love my BGE chiminea best (next to our big, inground firepit/grill).[p]Buy one for your wife! JCA

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Bill-the-Grill,
    what does basball have to do with a chiminiea

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />Bill-the-Grill,
    I have one and really like it.I have mine in a egg nest it raises it up to a good height.
    Larry

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    YB,[p]What size nest?
    [/b]
  • site1026.jpg
    <p />Bill-the-Grill,[p]They can handle a rip roaring fire. Unlike a clay chiminea, there is no need to worry about rain. But I recommend a bed of sand in the bottom. We did not put sand in the first one we had and cracked it almost immediately. The Chiminea was replaced at no cost because there were no directions, and we were chiminea rookies.[p]Pout

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Mr. Hyde,
    The nest is for a large egg.It will fit in a medium but it's tight.
    Larry

• J Appledog, pardon my complete ignorance, but do you burn regular wood logs in these things? I presume so, but, candidly, with no prior experience with chimineas, I am clueless (as per usual).

• jwitheld,[p]My guess is that they are both events suitable for the consumption of large quantities of beverages.[p]Pout[p]
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Pout,
    Which I think jwitheld may have done before posting his reply!! Just kidding jwitheld.