Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini

Options
Roger Bourland
Roger Bourland Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There are only 2 of us and we love charcoal cooking. Being in our 80's our appetites are not huge and our dishes run to burgers, steaks, ribs, chickens - basic stuff. Mostly just the 2 of us. We think the mini should be perfect for our needs and would fit right into our budget. some say the small would be a better buy.

Does the mini do a good job on the basics?

nuncmeister

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    A mini would be fine, but since this is your first egg, you might think about getting a small instead. More room for just what you might think you need.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Mini is a fun little grill.
    I have both but would keep my small if I could only keep one. More options for cooking with the small.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Unknown
    Options
    click for slide show

th_minisausage002.jpg

minisausage032.jpg

11 inch skewers

minisausage050.jpg

16 inch platter lots of food for 2

minisausage079.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Roger,

There are just the 2 of us here too as well. When 2 or 3 of the younger grand kids come over the mini is great.

I love how fast the mini starts up and easy to use.

If you are sure you are not going to get a second egg, you might take a very close look at the small. At some point in time contact Chubby, a forum member, and add some GrateMates to use with the small.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The mini is a lean mean grilling machine - just right for steaks, burgers, thighs, etc. I have only baked cornbread on it and low and slow would probably be a challenge.

If you just want to grill the mini is fine for 2. If you want to do some other things like bake and smoke, I would go for the small.

Just my dos centavos.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Roger,

While I love my mini and use it all the time, had it been my first and only egg I don't think that I would have liked it, and certainly would not use it as frequently as I do.

I agree with the others in saying you would likely enjoy a small much more.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I love my mini. You can really fit alot on that 10" grid.

a 4 lb spatchocked chicken:

CIMG3075.jpg

a 9" rolled and tyed pork roast

CIMG3087.jpg

3 or 4 large stuffed chicken breasts:

CIMG3116.jpg

Chicken breasts on skewers, this would easily feed 4:

CIMG3204.jpg

a 8 inch cast iron skillet with the handle cut off:

CIMG3239.jpg

pizza:

CIMG3284.jpg

1.5 qt casserole dish:

P5040154.jpg

If you are cooking for more than 2, you just have to do it in shifts. I cooked for 7 people one night. I just had food coming off the egg unil the fire went out.
    An added plus is the weight of it is only 30 lbs. in case you want to take it somewhere, while the small weighs 65 lbs.

Do a search for mini and you will see lots more mini cook ideas.

Just some egg stuff to think about.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    get the Medium- you will need it to make ribs & pulled pork. The reason: you need the lump capacity to do any decent longer cooks. I also have the mini and is great for hamburgers, chicken breast, pizza and steaks
    spend the money now the first time and you wan't regret it later.