Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Everyone!

DrugCoder
DrugCoder Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a new Large BGE owner as of yesterday. I have been smoking on a cheap smoker from lowes for years with great success, and decided to move up to a real grill..

Looking forward to enjoying my new egg. The store didn't have any plate setters in stock when I picked it up so it will be tomorrow before I get the chance to get one. I have some chicken leg quarters at home that I could cook tonight. Any good suggestions for recipes that require direct cooking?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Member Ross in Ventura has a post below, chicken and white sauce that looks pretty darn good. Lower quarters should work great with that.

If you want something easier use some EVOO and lemmon pepper.

For this cook load your lump level to just above the air vents in the fire box. That will give you a fair distance from heat to your food.

Take a minute to calibrate your dome thermometer.

There are a lot of temperature combination, but 350° dome and cook the chicken to 165° internal or until the juices run clear.

Use some Cherry wood or apple wood for smoke flavor, if you have it.

Your vent settings will be pretty close to bottom vent open 1/4". DFMT sldier (larger disc) closed and petals 1/4 to 1/3 open.

Let us know how your cook turns out.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    He needs "The Chicken" recipe..

And welcome to the cult er family!!
  • Welcome !! I used a $50 brinkman smoker for three years prior to waking up and getting an Egg ... I think if I added up all the charcoal I used in my little water smoker, I could own 4 Eggs by now!!!

You are certainly in the right place to get all of your questions answered. Enjoy!

JM
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one idea for chicken. Needs a plate setter.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm
  • I cook almost everything direct. Have only used the PS for pizza. Do easy cooks the first few times anyway. There is a learning curve for getting your temps to hold. :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Hey, DC. Welcome to the Egg-cooking cult!

THe biggest problem for newbies, as Ind. Grocer said, is temp. control - too hot!
    If you let your Egg get too hot, you will go nuts with frustration trying to get the temp back down. Once the ceramics get hot, they do a fantastic job of holding the temp! ;)

Sneak up on your desired temp after you get your fire started. Like someone suggested, small opening on the bottom vent.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Welcome to Egg-land and congratulations on your new toy. Lots of great folks here to help when you need it.

Not sure if you have been reading the forum for very long but there is a lot of info available here and on some of the eggers web sites.

I have not done leg quarters but if you go to the top of the page, under Egghead Forum and type in leg quarters in the search box you will get lots posts.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get home and give it a shot.

What are these adjustable level grids that I keep seeing in photos? I like the idea of raising the grid without having to use the PS.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Its cooked indirect. -RP
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    I'd go with anything that takes at least the time to drink beer, but that's me B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The Adjustable Rig and Spider.

You will find some great Reference Links here.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You be lloking for the adjustable rig at:

www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Welcome! let us know how you make out :) Julie
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Coder....Welcome! You have come to the right place! As far as cooks without the plate setter....your options are as vast as your imagination!
    Steaks, Pork Chops, Pork Tenderloin, Chicken pieces, Fish filets, shrimp, sausages, burgers, etc...etc...!! I wouldn't be in too much rush to get that platesetter! Learning to cook direct, without it, will help you learn how to control the heat, and learn how the Egg behaves! I'd hate to see you lean on indirect cooking before you learn how much you can do direct! But that is just my two cents. :whistle:
    Anyways...welcome to the forum!! And congrats on your BGE addition!!
    Look forward to seeing your posts.
    Michelle