Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Differences?

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I keep seeing pictures of plate setters where people have placed what looks to be a sizeable drip pan under neat the grill grate and on the setter with the legs up. My question: Is this a unique plate setter and where can i get one? Mine has very small legs and there isn't enough room for most drip pans. I have an XL... is that the issue?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    The legs on the old style XL are quite short. I have the old style XL but the new platesetter which has longer legs - it's okay but not really designed for the old style XL.

I use a 1" drip pan that I purchased online from TJV at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    works fine with the short legged platesetter.

While you over there you may want to check out the other stuff for an XL.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I bought my xl about 2 months ago, so I can;t imagine that it's the old style, but the plate setter that the dealer sold me has short legs. Where can I get the plate setter for the xl w/ longer legs?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chef Boyaree,

I did some research on this because I had a new XL in a box all winter. It is a valid improvement over the old style. The only parts affected are the fire ring and the platesetter itself.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chef Boyaree
    Options
    where can I get the new plate setter? Definitely interested...
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    Here is what you can do. I bought an XL (old style) Then I bought a new style plate setter with the longer legs. I could not close the dome with the new platesetter in the old xl. I called the mothership and the promptly sent me the new fire ring with notches for the new platesetter at no charge. Great customer svc. They have a customer for life.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Chef Boyaree,

I would talk to your dealer. IMO you bought a new egg and you should have recieved the new design. It's probably just an old stock thing. I was talking to the Canadian distributor about it on the weekend and they were not even aware of the change so it is very possible your dealer isn't either. I would think Atlanta would support you on this. Smokin guitar player did a video on the difference.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    unless you bought directly from a high volume sales store you most probably bought from inventory so while 2 month may sound current to you it's not really. Key is you said yours have short legs so it's the old style period.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You might have the new plate setter.
    Even the new model has very short legs.
    The Plate Setter is a add on and not shipped with the Egg so a new style egg could be sold with old style plate setter or the other way around. Depends on dealer stock.
    Point is your dealer should be able to tell you and should sell you the correct parts needed. At times it seems the dealers are the last to know unless they read this forum. Not sure how information is passed to the dealers from the BGE head quarters.
    The fire ring on the new style egg has notches that the plate setter can rest into that change the height up or down about an inch. The new plate setter legs are only slightly longer and could be confused as the old model as they are short compared to the plate setter for the other models.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Short is a subjective term.
    Even the new XL PS is short compared to other models by over double.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The new XL plate setter with the longer legs only works with the new XL fire ring. If you put a new longer legged setter in with the old fire ring it will sit too high and you will have trouble closing the egg. Go to Fred's Music and BBQ Supply's website and watch the video. At the top of the home page, under the red 800 number, click on videos. Then click on the fourth one down titled "big green egg XL model original vs. new 2009 model.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The fire box is shorter on the new model. Fire ring is the same, just notched.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Here is the link, you may want to check your hinge mechanism as well.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/533.htm

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON