Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect cooking w/ large BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read about indirect cooking with grills that have a lid. I would assume that the BGE is excellent due to the heat distribution and retention from the ceramic construction.[p]How do you create an indirect fire in the fire box so as not to have a direct fire right underneath the food?[p]

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Billy Griller,
    When cooking indirect on the BGE, you would put some type of mass between the fire and the food. This can be anything from a plate setter, a pizza stone, firebricks, or simply just a drip pan. [p]~nikki

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Billy Griller,
    All you need is some kind of a barrier between the fire and the food. A v-rack in a drip pan is a simple example. There are many other possibilities if you have an extra cooking grid, or an extended grate with legs. The drip pan goes on the bottom grid, and the food goes on the top grid.....elevated over the drip pan. Drip pans can be as simple as folded and fashioned heavy-duty aluminum foil. An upside down ceramic place-setter is a polpular indirect tool, and combines added-ceramic-mass.[p]Welcome to eggerhood.
    Chris[p]Look at any of the eggers' websites, and you will see pictures of examples.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    nikkig,
    4 seconds BABY! Almost took your mirror off.
    Cheers to you and Rick.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Billy Griller,[p]If you want serious indirectness, try a few firebricks laid on the grid, and then put your drip pan and rack on top of that. You can get firebricks [either regular thickness or half thickness] at a building supply outfit -- they use the bricks to line fireplaces.[p]The advantange of the firebricks is that they deflect all sharply-focused heat from under your food, plus they add "thermal mass" to the Egg. That makes the temp very stable. Just watch out not to raise the temp too high -- it is tough to cool it down, once those bricks heat up.[p]I don't use the bricks all the time -- just when I want a real low and slow cook, like five hour ribs.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Along the same lines as what has been mentioned already ...[p]I have four solid brick, not firebrick and not an "old" sand type brick but modern hard brick, that I place flat in sort of a triangle and one in the middle on top of the grill. I put my pizza stone, well wrapped in foil (just because I don't want to get it unduly "messed-up" from smoke, drippings, etc.) on top of the brick. Finally I put an old cookie rack/cooling rack on top of the pizza stone to place the meat on. This gives a little bit (only 1/2" or so) of circulation below the meat.
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    P5060003.JPG
    <p />Billy Griller,
    Here is a photo of an indirect setup.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ & Egg site[/ul]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]That picture is both an indirect and raised setup, giving you double protection from direct heat. That works well, but when you raise the grid, you limit the amount of stuff you can cook at one time. That's not a problem unless you want to cook a lot of stuff. If you do, then just use the lower grid but put the firebricks close together to block more of the heat.[p]

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Grill_Setup5.jpg
    <p />Billy Griller,[p]Here is another Pic. Pretend you are placing all of these pieces on the firering:[p]PlateSetter / DripPan / NormalGrid / Grid Extender.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I recently bought a grill extender that gets rid of the two bricks used to hold up the grill. Presto... more grill space!