Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks - is 1" really thin?

Options
Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p]One thing I have noticed is that the thickness of steaks mentioned in this forum are generally at least 1" thick. In fact I think that 1"is considered on the thinner side by many?[p]Down here in Australia anything thicker than 1" or even 3/4" is unusual even at a restaurant. When I want a good steak I ask the butcher to cut them about 1" thick but usually not more than that. I guess that if they are too thin you may as well just grill them. Being thicker allows for the benefit of a dwell I assume.[p]A rump steak more than 1" thick would be a real monster, something to skip the entrée and dessert for (but not the beer). Do you just order them thick and then cut them in half?[p]Wow even the pork chops are thick.[p]Regards,
Hugh.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    AussieHugh,[p]You mention a "rump steak". Rump is a rather tough cut, isn't it? In our home, we only do filets and NY strips. I think even thinner cut do well seared!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />AussieHugh,[p]It's not uncommon for restaurants here as well to serve strip steaks or ribeyes that are 1" thick. Usually filets come closer to 2-3" thick. However, when I visit the butcher, I like to get my strips and ribeyes AT LEAST 1.5" thick, but ideally about 1.75 - 2" thick. [p]In my opinion, the thicker steaks allow a nice transition from seared/charred exterior to hot pink to warm pink to warm red (or cool pink) for a medium-rare center. With thinner steaks (1" or less) it's more difficult to get that nice variation in doneness, taste, flavor, and texture.[p]A good rule of thumb I've found is that a 1.75" thick NY strip is about 16 ounces (1 lb) of meat. Commonly, I find that this is too much meat for some guests, so in that case, rather than buying thinner steaks, I simply cut them in half after I plate them.[p]Man, here it is 6:45 in the morning and now I'm craving steak . . . looks like it might be steak for dinner tonight.[p]TRex
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AussieHugh,
    I thought you guys did everything big down there![p]My tenderloin filets are usually 1 3/4 inches to 2" (I cut them myself).[p]Ribeyes shrink in thickness during the cook, so I start them also at 1 3/4 , but they end up 1 1/2 inches when done.[p]Same thing for porterhouse, nearly 2 inches.[p]I always eat a filet in one sitting, since they are small enough.
    Depending on my ravenous aptitude on a particular evening, I might leave a bit of the ribeye, but usually eat the whole thing.[p]For some reason, though, I can't handle the 32 oz porterhouse! The wife and I split that.....[p]anything an inch thick would cook all the way through before the sear was where i like it.[p]if it's an inch think, it's sandwich meat!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tom Harmon
    Tom Harmon Posts: 50
    Options
    AussieHugh,[p]Short answer is 1" is thin - my wife and I joke that we are really cooking roasts! ;-)[p]The high heats we use on the eggs really cook steaks less than 1.5" too fast to get the char (Unless you like welldone, and then you're on your own!)[p]tlhrtp

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    Smokey,
    The 'rump', here in the States, is a boneless sirloin cut from the back of the sirloin near the Porter House. A nice 2" cut makes an excellent grilling steak.

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    AussieHugh,
    I'm addicted to strips that average about 1.5 inches. Just "TRex the hell out of 'em", and they are wonderful.[p]Dave's Not Here.