Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg v. Offset Smoker

Options
Davidg5700
Davidg5700 Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the roadblocks I had to overcome in getting authorization to purchase my BGE was that it was billed as a smoker. I already owned an offset smoker with 1/4 thick steel and a hefty price tag.

It has served me well. The wife was concerned that this expensive chunk of steel would just sit there and rust away never being used once the egg got nestled into the patio. I rationalized that the egg was not a true smoker (please be kind, this argument was used to join the brotherhood of the egg :whistle: ), and that I'd still use the offset smoker.

So, my question for the egghead community is: does anyone else own an offset smoker and if so, how often do you opt for that over your egg?

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    yes...I sold it. :whistle:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I assume your offset has much greater capacity for smoking than the Egg? So, you do the big jobs on the offset and the little jobs on the Egg. If you find yourself not using the offset, you can sell it. Easy! (Easy for us to say, lol!)
    The Naked Whiz
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    You can use it to safely store your eggcessories! ;)
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    After a few cooks on my first Egg, my off-set was in the want-ads; it was a nice sight watching that thing leave.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Donated mine to friend and it's now at a hunting camp.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I have a nice, big Horizon offset in addition to four eggs. It holds a lot more meat and is a TON more work. I only bought it so I could use several acres of wood from trees that snapped in an ice storm. It is now used just a few times, when compared to the egg, but it is a different deal. When we use the offset, a bunch of guys come over and we stay up all night tending the fire, which, as you know, needs a lot of tending, drinking, and telling lies.....it's a lot of fun when we do it.
    But, if you want to knock out reasonable amounts of food with no-muss no-fuss, then the egg is the way to go. It's also a much better grill.
    Also, cleanup of the egg and accessories is much easier than cleaning the offset.
  • Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Options
    I used selling my offset to justify the purchase of the egg. My offset took up too much space in the garage as I quit using it; to high maintenance when smoking.
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    I cant wait to get rid of mine. I already got a bunch of people wanting it.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    My old offset smoker was dragged to the curb and was never seen again. Some lucky neighbor may have it, but I'm still the only one that I can tell is smoking food.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I bought one after buying a Large Egg. I thought that I could cook ribs 80% of the cook time on the BGE and finish/reheat them in the offset smoker for large parties that I would throw. The Offset imparted too much creosle and smoke during the reheat. I ended up giving it too the Homestead Fire Dept. Now when LC and I have large parties, we have three eggs and if we need more, we have Eggheads that will help us out. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • slowcooker
    slowcooker Posts: 19
    Options
    I sold my offset with regrets and was in the market for a new one. I was about to buy the Lang 48 Patio (www.pigroast.com). I was told to look into the BGE and I am glad I did. I can smoke, grill, bake all on one cooker and use less lump. The egg holds a steady temp and there is no baby sitting a fire. Unless I start a church in the near future I do not see myself needing a cooker that can cook for 100 people.
  • Davidg5700
    Options
    Yeah, the off-set has 424 compared to 255 for the egg. I've already had a friend offer to buy the smoker. I'm not ready to part ways with it quite yet, though :unsure:
  • Davidg5700
    Options
    Agreed on all points, it is definitely more work than the egg. Also, it always seemed to rain whenever I'd do a low-slow on the off-set. A couple of hundred pounds of hot steel and water combine with bad results :angry: (That is however, one of the things I love about the egg: it get rained upon, so what?!? :woohoo: )
  • Davidg5700
    Options
    OK, so I put this question out in a slightly biased forum ;)

My wife had always said that the money we put into the smoker was the best investment we ever made. Now she is saying that about the egg. Probably shouldn't call her on that if I plan on keeping the off-set though :whistle:
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    G-A-Z-E-B-O!!!!! ;)
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    I had a Klose backyard chef. It was a great smoker, but I sold it about 6 months after getting my Egg (It had not been used).