Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening in fire box

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The opening in my fire box is not exactly even with the sliding door on the outside of the egg. It's probably over about two inches or so. Will this make a difference? If so how do I move it around to square it up without breaking anything?
I cooked chicken breast tenders that had been marinated last night. I got the temp to about 350 and then got it back down to about 300. It took about 45 minutes to cook and these where thin pieces of chicken. Does this sound normal, or could my temp be off? When you touch the outside of the meat even after turning it does not seem very hot. Just wondering if I'm doing it right or if I've got some kind of problem.
This site is the best to help get started.

Comments

• Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    New Cook,
    I would remove the fire ring and turn the firebox so that everything lined up. I am not sure how much of a difference it would make, but airflow is indeed critical in the Egg.[p]I prefer chicken cooked at a higher temp. I don't use chicken breast tenders often, but in your situation I would have seared them off at a very high temp and then closed vents and let the chicken sit for another couple of minutes. ...just a thought.
    Poncho

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    New Cook,[p]You might consider calibrating your thermometer. Place it in some boiling water and it should read 212. If it's the BGE thermometer, there is an adjustment on the back...[p]Ryan
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    New Cook,
    The firebox just sits in the bottom of the egg. Remove the fire ring and then lift the firebox up, rotate it and set it back down. Replace the fire ring and then you should be good to go. It is best to do this to prevent problems with not getting high temps and possibly low and slow fires going out.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • New Cook,
    I would recommend getting it as close as you can to lining up with the vent hole, but do not wedge it in. You can almost guarantee a crack if you do not have the fire box situated with the ability to expand a little. The firebox will heat up much quicker than the shell of the egg. The main reason to have it directly in front of the vent hole is for maximum cooking temps. If you rarely cook over 500 or 600 degrees, I would not worry too much. I think it will draft fine. [p]SS