Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other cookers

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all.
I am a newbie so be gentle. :)
I am interested in a BGE but have run across other brands. Do any of you have an opinion of these other brands compared to the BGE.
Tried to search to no avail, maybe wrong search terms.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    We do not compare other cooking grills and ceramics, however most of use have been there and once we realized the flexibility of the BGE got one3 or more over time.I first bought a kamado in SE Asia in'68 and it died several years later. Have had a large for 6 years and a small for 3. Hang around here and you will see why this is the greatest forum on the subject.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    90% of those here will say 'buy a BGE'. The other half will say 'buy a BGE'....
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL that is a loaded question :) this is an egg forum so we have all picked what we think is the BEST. Most of us when we decided to get another ceramic cooker went with another egg. there is a big reason for that. I have 7 and wouldn't dream of owning anything else :) I know there are 2 or 3 that do have others but could not tell you who. as far as the "why" this forum and the warranty of the egg and the people that support it make it almost a no brainer. Julie
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    I don't think forum rules allow comparing the different ceramic cookers here. B) It usually starts fights. :S

Having said that, I own several of another brand of ceramic, plus a BGE Mini. If I had it to do over again, all of my ceramics would be BGE. (If only the BGE dealers in my area had been honest way back then, when I was researching...NONE of them could tell me anything GOOD about the BGE, but they sure had negative info on the other brands :( :unsure: )

The customer support thing is one of the best selling points, and yes, you WILL need customer support, whatever you buy. BGE customer support is second to none!

Then, there is this forum. A little crazy at times, but you can get any information that you need, probably on any subject. Just ask!

Wouldn't trade a thing for my Black Metal ones, though.

BOB
  • I asked the same question a different way months ago. Let me put it this way, I researched the BGE and another well known Atlanta based company. Even visited both locations on a trip to Atlanta in April. After careful consideration I went with the BGE and couldn't be happier. This site is amazing with all the help you will recieve. You probably don't have the opportunity to visit the Mothership but if you could the difference would be eye opening. For the life of me I can't remember his name but the R&D manager spent close to an hour with me going over the benefits of the BGE and made me feel comfortable if there was ever a problem if would be resolved.Service after the sale should never be overlooked.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Forum rules don't allow comparisons, but egg owners are by and large "smarter than the average bear, Boo Boo," and most have researched it and have come to the conclusion that the Egg is the one to own. The customer service is the best I have seen for any product, the cooker turns out the best food I have ever had, and the forum is loaded with people who can get you up to speed in no time. But if you choose to go with a different brand you will still be rocking. And I don't believe any questions you ask hre will go unanswered. Good luck whichever path you take.
  • Let me guess, Math Major? :laugh: :laugh:

Doug
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Usefulness of the Forum? Just look three topics above this one, "First Cook Ruined". :(

Look at the answers and how quickly they were posted. That is worth the price of the Egg by itself.

I ain't trading my Eggs for any other. :cheer:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    You got it dahlin'! Learnt it from the one & only, Yogi Berra..!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    As you can see, everyone is dancing around the answer due to the forum rules - and a little peer pressure.

BGE owners will get pretty defensive.

From your question you have discovered some of the other ceramic companies. As far as comparing one to another, one may have other colors, one may have thicker or stainless steel bands on the dome to base connection, another may have pretty tiles (if one thinks those are pretty).

There is a new kid on the block that has a 'door' to allow putting in smoking wood, which I which BGE would copy.

Most of the differences are cosmetic and or small function changes from BGE.

Most of the dealers will down play BGE or compare as good as or better than BGE.

If you have a desire, google search and look for the forum or dealer forum boards, they are out there.

Most of the other boards are very inactive or have a lot of posts with little or no warranty help. Quite the opposite here in our little 'village'.

My decision to buy, now 4 eggs, is local dealer, warranty and the biggest reason was/is this forum.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Julie,

SEVEN? My word girl, why would you want seven?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    dr.dialtone,

Not to re-route your thread but was there a reason that you prefaced with I'm a newbie so be gentle? Just wondering.

There are several folks on this forum that use other cookers and the forum has lost a few extremely talented members because of discussions about that.
    Heck, I even heard there is one guy on the forum that is looking at something multicoloured with jewels all over it :whistle:
    I'm not the kind to do a lot of research prior to purchasing something I know I want and there weren't many other brands around here when I did. I feel I was lucky on the choice.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I think 2 locations, North & South and she might just be counting some of her parents and her son's.

Just guessin. Of course who am I to talk. Two of us here and we have 4 eggs.

Kent
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Dr Dialtone.... Our original "Ole Lady" (LG BGE) is now 12 years old (going to be 13 in June!)! We went through a gasser a year, (and not cheap ones, either!) until we made the decision to go wholly "Green"....Big Green Egg that is. ;) We still have a gasser, but haven't used it in.....gosh, I don't even remember. :blink: We just added another large, and a medium to our BGE family. I am sure there are some other ceramics out there, but we choose to stick with what we know works! Just my two cents! And welcome! :)
    Michelle
  • Little Steven
    Kent,

I have the same ratio.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Where do EGGaholics go to recover?
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    No particular reason other than I am new to this forum.
    Just surfing the net and seen there are others. I have not seen the selection of easy to obtain parts as for BGE. Think that is mychoice when Imake the move.
    Thanks to all!!

Little Steven wrote:
    dr.dialtone,

Not to re-route your thread but was there a reason that you prefaced with I'm a newbie so be gentle? Just wondering.

There are several folks on this forum that use other cookers and the forum has lost a few extremely talented members because of discussions about that.
    Heck, I even heard there is one guy on the forum that is looking at something multicoloured with jewels all over it :whistle:
    I'm not the kind to do a lot of research prior to purchasing something I know I want and there weren't many other brands around here when I did. I feel I was lucky on the choice.

Steve