Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pigs in Vermont

BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all....
just a quick note before I head out to cook even more bbq (a 7 lb sirloin roast for my grandma's 90th b'day party). Back from the 10 hr drive between Vermont and home in Canada and wanted to let you know how our Dizzy Pig BBQ team did at the Harpoon Brewery competition. With a 36 team field stacked with some of New England's top bbq teams, I think we fared quite well....
Highlights:
- 9th place ribs (ribbon awarded)
- 5th place brisket (ribbon awarded)
then there was:
- 16th place pork shoulder
and then the chicken, 25th place.
The chicken that NB turned in seemed to baffle some of the judges... we had two judges give it perfect marks in appearance, taste and texture and then several others went as low as 6's on taste. Not everyone appreciates/understands the asian flare our boy of nature brings to the table, I guess...
Anywho, overall, we finished what was, IMHO, a very respectable 9th out of 36 or 37 teams (they had event capped at 36 but I understand one of the teams on the waiting list showed up anyway and I believe they let them cook; I'm not sure on that as the scores were handed to us just minutes before I had to leave!). We actually finished in a tie for 8th place, but lost the tiebreaker.
I'm sure NB will be along to add his own thoughts (they stayed nearby last night, so won't be home til later).
Great fun had by all and NB and his buddy Kenny as well as Woodoggies are great guys to spend a day with at a brewery! LOL
WD and Kenny did an amazing job with our presentation and that was a large part of our fine results.
We'll try to improve on this next month at the event in New Holland, PA.
Gotta go!
Qfan

Comments

• BBQfan1,
    warmest congrats on a fine egghead showing. ..i'm sure NB's chicken was righteous, and probably way over the heads of some of those metal head judges who only understand 'pepper and lots of sauce'. . .[p]good food for thought for new holland though, making sure you make the taste fit the IQ of the judging staff. . ..[p]i did a bunch of thighs the other night as competition try-outs, and frankly, the texture, juiciness, etc, was SO superior to anything you can do in 'metal', it was amazing. .. trouble now is to win over the judges' taste buds. .. [p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    BBQfan1,[p]Way to go! Pretty damn good way to go! And you guys haven't even been competing a year?!?!?![p]Cold ones tippin' to the Northeast.[p]Look out, New Holland, Pig on a roll's headed your way! Yahoooooooo!!![p]Ken
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    BBQfan1,[p]Congrats to all! Great job...keep it up and knock 'em off their feet in New Holland.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• BBQfan1,[p]It was nice to meet you, Mike, and good to see Chris, John and Kenny again. You guys are great neighbors - congratulations on your impressive showing this weekend![p]Lee
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Harpo005.jpg
    <p />BBQfan1,[p]Here are the boys..... Nature Boy, Kenny and Qfan right after the awards...... tired, smelling of smoke and happy....... the Pigs of Dizzy.[p]It was a beautiful weekend in Vermont. I had too much fun cooking, drinking a lot of Harpoon beer, hanging out with friends and meeting many new ones.
    What a great pleasure it was for us to have Stumpbaby, Mrs Stumpbaby and their two lovely girls (who thankfully look like their mother and not of Stump) show and give their support to the team....... Stump, you're a lucky man and thank you for showing! :~)[p]Qfan, thanks for the report and I look forward to cooking again with you in a month...... heeeeeeee![p]WD

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    BBQfan1,[p]Very cool. Congrats! I'm jealously working on a program for school rather than on my rib technique this Sunday.[p]Of course, I worked on my ribs, wings, sausages, and beer consumption on Friday and Saturday, but this Sunday, I'm all business![p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    WooDoggies,[p]
    That pic puts me in the mind of that saying....[p]"I wouldn't be part of any group that would have me as a member"!![p]
    Congrats on the ribbons...sounds like a good time was had by all!![p]Chubby[p]Eat heavy...Dress cool!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Sounds like you guys had a great time and some pretty fair results. Way to go!!![p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    WooDoggies,[p]Congrats to the team. Unfortunately, I had to leave before they announced the winners, would have liked to have been there to help celebrate with you guys. :)[p]We had fun, it was great meeting QFan, and the hospitality shown to use by the team was nothing but first class..got there a bit late to try the chicken or ribs..but the brisket and pulled pork were excellent.[p]The whole family got a kick out of your post...although the wife isn't sure bout being known as a Mrs.StumpBaby...but time heals all wounds...why just 20 minutes ago.....after I was finished readin another chapter of the latest Harry Potter book to my oldest daughter...I could hear her yell out to my wife...'goodnight Mrs StumpBaby"...followed by the sound of two precious little girls giggling..and one heavy sigh...[p]Thanks again guys...[p]StumpBaby

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    BBQfan1,
    Dang!! Great job! Being only 60 minutes away yet having some crap going on at home, I didn't make it down to see you guys....Hope the event and the visit to Vermont were worth the trip! Love it here and hope my info before you guys came up helped a bit!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    The having "great neighbors" feeling is mutual Lee. And overall it blows my mind how friendly other teams were overall. And the contest organizers worked their tails off to make sure everyone had a good time, plenty of beer, and everything they needed. If we can work out the logistics, we'll surely be back again next year....hopefully cooking next to you two!! And this time I'll make sure all them boys on our team are ready and willing to stay there for the party on Saturday night![p]Congrats to Back 40 too. I am not sure how you do it with just the two of you. I wudda been in trouble without all three of my helpful teamates...and surely would not have gotten any sleep![p]Cheers, Lee. Hi to Rob.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    WooDoggies,[p]Is it just me, or in this picture does NB look like Mike O'Malley? Maybe it's just my tired Monday morning eyes...[p]
  • Nature Boy
    WDallCookers.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    It was a blast indeed, and extremely well run event. I think we'll be back! John, it was great cooking with you. I doubt the results would have been the same without your contributions.[p]This shot of you (when we were setting up) shows the other contributors in the background. Thanks, BGE, for putting out such a great product![p]Stump (and family) it was great seeing you all. Wish I could have been more sociable![p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    ChickenBoxClose.jpg
    <p />Thanks Max,
    Learning what the judge pool in a certain area is likely to enjoy is part of the challenge. What is bizzare is that the two judges that scored low on flavor also scored us low on tenederness. Between the other four judges we got three 9's and one 8 on taste, and three 9's and one 8 on tenderness. Amazing what a couple 6s and 7s can do to your score![p]Here is the 25th pace entry! We'll get it down sooner or later. Seems like a few adjustments in the right direction and we can do better in that category. And maybe a few tips from the good doctor![p]Beers, Max
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    ChrisBrisket.jpg
    <p />Does this look like Mike O'Malley?? Who is Mike OMalley?? hee.[p]Tom, the info you sent helped a great deal. And the Super 8 was not that bad. Wouldn't want to live there, and there were some pretty funky stains on the matresses! But we got a pretty good sleep after the long trip.[p]sorry you could not make it down. Maybe next year!
    Thanks for everything
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1,[p]I speak for the whole WHYBS? team in stating we enjoyed spending time with all of you. You had a good crew there and pulled off some great scores. Why don't you talk them into making a little drive to Niagara Falls on Labour Day?[p]
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Guys, [p]That is great news overall. The scores on chicken really suck, but still a great showing considering how long ya'll have been cooking together.[p]Ashley
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    DarrenC,[p]Too much fun was had with you and the What Have You Been Smokin? team. You're fun, Darren, but your women folk are even more fun and purtier![p]Congratulations on your very impressive showing...... who says Canadians can't bbq?
    It was truly great to heft a few with you.[p]John[p]