Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Start up with Digi II question

Options
tarheelforever
tarheelforever Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first venture with my new Digi II begins today with Baby Back Ribs. When firing up the Egg do I allow the Digi II to bring the Egg up to temp or do I make sure the fire is going before installing the damper and blower? I realize the need to be careful not to overshoot the temp. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I just light the fire as I normally do (dome open, and lower vent wide open) and let it go for a while (maybe about 10 min or so...) then I put on the plate setter (or pizza stone, depending on the config) and close the dome and set the daisy wheel to the low-and-slow setting of barely-cracked open.

At that point, I'll attach the blower/door to the lower vent. Note that I use a 1/3 setting on the draft damper on the fan for an LBGE, and 1/4 on the SBGE, and 1/2 on the XL.
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Thanks Mike. You bring up a interesting point. I thought I read in the instructions to keep the damper wide open for the LBGE. Maybe I misread it or you have a better way. If I'm going for a 250 degree temp should I close it down?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to put that in the note! The mesh screen and sliding metal door should be closed as much as possible, only allowing air in via the fan.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Here is a picture of the cooker with the DigiQ hooked up, and you can see the lower vent config:
    IMG_1417.jpg
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    On my large I set the damper half closed on the blower. If you leave it fully open then it will allow a draft of air when the fan is not blowing which will make it hard for the digi to control the temp. You may have to experiment a little to get the right amount of damper opening. I believe Mike wrote that he sets his at 2/3 closed. I set the daisy wheel on the top to be completely closed. It is not airtight so the fan will still blow air through it. By sealing the egg as much as possible, you let the digi do the work of controlling the temp.