Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook ruined

Options
Ex-Gasman
Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well everything was going great. Had 2 butts going at 3 yesterday. Temp held at 220-230. 11 last night temp drops to 180.Could I be out of coal. Took everything out and was almost out of coal. No problem put more coal in, fired right up. Temp up to 300, starting closing back down to 220. Thought it was going well went to bed,woke up fire out, meat temp at 91, Dont know for how long , but dont wont food poisening, So in the garbage it went. Gonna throw some chicken breast on, may I can do that.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OOOHHHHHH..... I am so sorry :( I have not had it happen yet butt............... it would have tasted good for awhile and then the memory would linger for a lot longer :sick: you might have never wanted pulled pork again...... better luck next time.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    1. Did you fill the firebox up to the top with lump?
    2. Trying to hold 220 overnight is difficult. 250 is better.
    3. Read this:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm#fire
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    100% my fault,did not fill all the way up, i will next time!!!!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Also try to not overshoot your target temperature. The egg can take a couple of hours to cool down from 300 to 250 degrees when in fact your lump may have gone out. Throttle the air down as you approach your target temps then make sure it is stabilized there. Without mistakes we would never learn, better luck next time!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We've all had similar experiences, some with equally bad results, but soon after mine I got me a BBQ Guru. http://www.thebbqguru.com/

They now make an even better version. Well worth the money. In fact, it will pay for itself in many different ways.

Better luck next time.

Spring "Need All The Help I Can Get" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I don't know how often you got up to check the temp, but whenever I do a low and slow over night, it is a long night. I will get up every two or three hours to check my temperatures. Till a DigiQ comes to live with me.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that...I usually shoot for a dome temp of 250° and use a wiggle rod to clear out ash via the lower vent. If you lost your fire, it's one of two things:

1. airflow
    2. fuel

I think that I read earlier that you may not have had enough lump in there. Good call on not eating it, because E.R. co-pay is more expensive than new pork.

BTW, I use a DigiQ from the BBQ Guru guys--it's paid for itself already in all the time savings and peace-of-mind it's provided. They have a new device called the CyberQ which can control multiple cookers and provide you some detailed info to your computer if you really want that information, too.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    2 butts going overnight for your 'first cook?' ... very brave! Sorry about your loss, but I certainly commend you on your bravery. I was high fiving myself when my first cook was a couple of seared steaks! ... the more ya learn, the less ya burn ...
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Sorry about you first experience. :ohmy: Butts are somewhat forgiving. I don't have the guru gadgets yet either. I have found that 250 and 275 are easier to hold without as much risk for the fire going out over night. I still get up every few hours to check. My first cook was also two Boston Butts I was cooking at 225. I happened to catch it at 180 the Fire had gone out. I was able to save it but had I not gotten up it would have been a loss.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problem.

One method for the future is to buy a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer (about $40 online). It has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the grid temp. You can set alarms to alert you if the temp falls too much. Or just wake up and check it every few hours with the remote display next to your bed. It has saved me a lot of worry on long cooks.

I use it on all my cooks - even the daytime ones since I can just carry the remote with me.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am sure sorry to read the news, sorry man.

For overnight cooks I fill the lump on my large to the top of the fire ring.

I have lost 2 cooks due to fire going out.

One was the common fire 'went out' problem. Having the egg too hot and trying to cool down. Ceramics holding heat and lump going out.

The other was when I was using my DigiQII and the way I light the lump I ended up having a vertical burn. Plenty of lump in the egg but the burn didn't spread horizontally. The burnt lump looked like a funnel inside unburnt lump.

Your egg is very capable of handling a overnight cook without a powered vent system. I recommend getting one when you can.

For about $40 you can get a Maverick ET-73 thermometer. Dual probe (food and pit), remote read with alarms.

You set the pit temp. alarm high and low and the food temp. for a done target.

You take the receiver in your room and you can see the temperatures. If you fall asleep or get distracted the alarms will sound when any of the temperatures get out of range.

GG