Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*Help please* Temperature woes

Options
Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 7 pound all night butt going after cooking some hot-tubbed steaks earlier tonight. The temperature was stable at 235 or thereabouts at the vent but after warnings not to go lower than 250 I opened up a bit. Looks like it was a bit too much. Either that or it due to that rather fresh breeze going on out there. At any rate it seems to be stableish at 290 and the question is is that too hot or should I let it be and go to sleep?

Thanks

Doug

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    set a alarm for 3 hours and go to sleep.. but if it is bad in three hours be prepared to stay up until your temp is stable...

just keep an eye on it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thanks, just waiting for threee consecutive ten minute no change readings somewhere between 250 and 275. Then I sleep til morning, which gets closer and closer to 3 hours from now. :ermm:

Oh and thanks for putting your money where your mouth is. I am one of those "new" guys and I while I don't think the issue is as bad as it is being stated, there definately seems to be some times than are better than others.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    290° is not a problem. Your egg being stable at any given temperature is something you need to be careful of.

Make sure you don't overcook.

GG
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thanks Kent

Two back to back 270s. 10 more minutes and one more measurement...zzzzzzz

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Do you have any type of a remote thermometer like the Maverick ET-73 with alarms. It sure makes life (nights) easier.

Kent
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Not yet. Being the geek that I am, I'm leaning towards one of these http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=289. That thing has enough options that it could wake you gently and only if it felt needy.

But I wanted to see what the Egg and I could do without technology. Thats what this cook is about.

Training wheels for the big cook two weeks from now. If it demonstrates I need more help from technology then I'll get some.

Thanks for the help.

Doug
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Doug,

As one Canuck to another, Terry comes from a good family and all that but over the years he has just developed some ways about him that just ain't right.
    On your egg question..don't expect immediate changes and if you have throttled it down, you need to stay with it a while to make sure you haven't overdone it. The changes happen slow and the worst thing that can happen is that you choke the fire.
    Was your egg steady before you put the butt on? You aren't trying to compensate for the drop when you put it on are you?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    We were waiting for the temp to come down from 700 (steaks) when it got to about 300 I put the platesetter in which pulled it down to 200 then it recovered to a stable 235.

I opened it up for fear of killing my fire, maybe to much :sick: and it stablized at about 290, I've been slowly banking it for the last hour or so and it seems stable at 270.

I'll post the results or at least the state in the morning.

Talk to you soon.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have the digiQII and a Stoker. The CyberQ looks pretty nice.

I like the Maverick because it is cheap, small and mobile with alarms.

If I don't hook the stoker up to to the computer or notebook I use the Maverick along with either of the two units I have.

I don't use the stoker or digiq as much now as I did when I first got them. However, if I didn't have them or they broke, I would buy a powered vent system again.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

I really didn't mean what I said about Terry. I just feel bad that I didn't kick his ass the last two years in Atlanta. (He seems a bit sensitive tonight) If you ever see a pic of us together you will know what I'm talking about.

Your thermometer may be off by 20* anyway and you are fine with 270*. Two things can happen, you're fire can run away or your fire can go out. It is what 1:30 there isn't it?
    If your lower thing is open the width of a loonie and your daisy is open 15% and your fire was built right go to bed. Dead things won BTW. Put de lime in da coconut and call me in da morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    My last ten butts...the last 10 weeks, I cooked without the Stoker. They all turned out great. But, I did take time to empty the lump and clean it well and I didn't do a cook before the Butts. I feel a clean egg is the key.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick in Mt.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I learned the clean egg trick long ago ... was getting frustrated with great egg performance ... which lead to great confidence for a long cook ... which lead to disappointment because I hadn't cleaned the egg after all those confidence building cooks! I now clean the egg prior to every long cook, no questions asked.

Also ... been using my large for a year and after a few cooks that came out a bit dry I checked my thermometer .... was off by 40 deg and I had calibrated it once before ....

I now treat my egg like a car ... every couple of months I give it a tune up, check all fluid levels, change filters .... makes me a happy egger knowing she always performs!
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Paging Drs. Steve, Grub and BENTE, Paging Drs. Steve, Grub and BENTE

Thanks for the help last night. Things are just fine this morning. The dome was down to 200 and the butt was up to 185. I cleaned out the vent holes and we're back up to 250 dome.

The patient should survive, thanks again

Doug
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

What time is dinner? :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    If you get to the airport right now. I can pick you up at 4 and you'll be just on time. ;)

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Don't forget to thank your egg. :laugh:

You will be even more happy when you eat. Congratulations.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    By all means a powered vent system is not needed to get a good overnight cook. Using one just lets me sleep a little easier.

Kent