Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt question

Options
Eggmoramus
Eggmoramus Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight is my first attempt at an over night cook. I have a 12 butt that I put on a 7 p.m.. BGE stabilized at 220. When I first put my temp. gauges in they registered 51 degrees F. Now after 2 1/2 hours it is already up to 130. I thought this was going to take 18 hours or so. Is this normal? I am ready to go to bed, if this is the way it should be, thanks for any help.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That is a big butt you have there, (pun intended).

If you dome thermometer has been calibrated and it is at 220° It is going to take some time but it doesn't look like 18 hrs.

All you can do and should do is go by the internal temp of the meat. The plateau should hit "about" 165° and then you will see a temp. stall for a long time. Once the meat comes out of the plateau you will see a rather quick finish. It is only a guess as to when this will be done.
  • CCB299
    CCB299 Posts: 20
    Options
    The last time I cooked a butt it was 9# and took about 14 hours. I never checked the internal but the dome temp stayed steady at about 240 the whole time.

When it was done I did the bone test...pulled the bone out with tongs without resistance.

It turned out perfect!

Hope this helps.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Just my opinion your fire will go out if don't get it up to 250. That has been the stable rule around here for years, unless you are using temp control device.

Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    rocrow,

What Mike said.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options