Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken

Options
Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a whole chicken tomorrow. I have the chicken upright holder. Can I do this cook without the platesetter? Will it burn because it is direct and lower to the lump?
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Yes, you can do it w/o the plate setter. Keep your temp around 350.
  • Tony S.
    Options
    Thanks .. . am going to give it a try tomorrow.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    What kind of holder do you have? A can full of beer works well. I try to keep some form of liquid in the cavity. Direct at 350 for me.
    bbuttt2.jpg

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey tony next time you want to do a chicken try spatchcocking it!! it is super easy!!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    You will be happy with this cook but you should try spatchcock a try. It gives a crispier skin and takes a little less time. like a great fellow egger say's "It's all good!'
  • Tony S.
    Options
    "hey tony next time you want to do a chicken try spatchcocking it!! it is super easy!!!"

What the heck is Spatchcocking???

Sounds painful ... :laugh:
  • Tony S.
    Options
    Just the stainless steel vertical chicken holder. The one from BGE .. Nothing as cool as the one you are using.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am sorry i left the link for you to click give it a try it is not painful to you or the chicken!!

maybe i messed up the link try this

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    You simply take a poultry shears and cut out the backbone. That way the chicken lays flat and cooks more evenly. I think the naked whiz has a detailed pictography on his site.
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Bente - I think you type faster tahn me. :laugh:
  • Tony S.
    Options
    You did leave the link. I forgot to click on it.

Thanks ... went and took a look. Looks simple and kinda cool.

My wife wants a slow cook on the chicken tomorrow. Wants it to be "smokey" .. Have a seven pounder to do.

Set it at 350 and wait and check it after a few hours and see where I am at ..
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Poultry takes smoke pretty quickly. You don't have to do it slow to get a good smokey flavor.
  • BENTE
    Options
    if you want it smokey then use the platesetter!!

and lower your heat to 250 and add some wood! i prefeer cherry :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Tony S.
    Options
    Would love to use a platesetter. Can't, as the BGE Dealer in the area does not carry them in inventory. Says that he can't afford to carry the inventory as he does not sell very much.

Should not be a dealer for BGE then I think. I had to order the pizza stone, platesetter and the grill extender.

Sucks to have to wait.
  • BENTE
    Options
    then check the bird more often than "after a few hours and see where I am at.."

should take about hour to an hour and a half for 7 pounds @350

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Tony S.
    Options
    Thanks. That is way faster than in the oven.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    The egg cooks like a convection oven which is faster then a conventional one. Carefull on the amount of wood chips, chicken can get to smokey and ruin the taste. It will have a smokey flavor just from the lump so go light on the additional chips. Also smell the egg exhaust before you put the bird on. Should smell good, if it smalls rancid allow the lump to cook a little longer.