Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knife sharpening

EggDawg
EggDawg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a set of Chicago Cutlery knives. I believe the blades are steel. I grew up with my dad sharpening knives with a whetstone. Any advice on how best to keep knives sharp?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    EggDawg,
    My father was a butcher and a sharp knife was an absolute necessity in his work. He always said to buy good knives, a good stone and a good steel, and use them frequently. Even then, he often took his knives to a professional sharpener in order to true the edge again. [p]Now-a-days they have some high-tech diamond stones that are supposed to be even better than regular oil or water stones.[p]My suggesion would be to go to Google.com and look up "knife sharpening." You will eventually run upon a good set of instructions that work for you. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers ranging from use a motorized sharpener to a leather strop. All of these things work but under different circumstances. My knives are sharp and all I have to do is hit the steel a couple of strokes and they are ready for anything.[p]Spring Chicken

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    EggDawg,[p]Timely subject. We are in the process of buying a knife sharpener (since the guy who used to sharpen the knives cannot be found!). We are heavily leaning toward buying the Chef's Choice 120 Electric Knife Sharpener. Practically every store/website/catalog that we have found that carries this model is selling it for $129.90 white, $139.90 chrome.[p]I suspect Mrs. Puj will launch an order very soon.[p]Puj

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Puj,
    Just be aware that sharpeners of that ilk tend to eat away at the knife at a heavy rate. If you have "good" knifes, I'd suggest finding another way to keep them sharp. Use of a good steel regularly will greatly lessen the frequency with which you have to sharpen...

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Puj,
    www.comforthouse.com has that model in their kitchen store for $117 and when you order over $50, you can also order two polder probes for .99 each. So, if you need a couple of probes, you might want to check them out.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Enok
    Enok Posts: 15
    EggDawg,
    I think(?) I can help you out. I am pro. sharpener and do so for area restaurants. I usually attend the Eggtober Fest in Atlanta in the fall and plan to attend again this year. I will be happy to sharpen fellow eggers knives free at that gathering. If you think that is a good thing, please let me know. I do both regular and serates knives, and would be happy to work for a brew and chow. But you gotta promise to feed me some good stuff.[p]In the meantime; if you want to use the mails, let me know.[p]CT. Yankee

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    EggDawg,
    A Steel is all you need. (Plus how to use it)You have to have one which is harder than the carbon steel in the knife blades of the Chicago Cutlery. Every so often (once every 6 months)one has to roll the edges back which sets up a new edge.I have used a set of these knives for many years and could shave with any of them except for the serated bread knife. This brand became famous by supplying meat cutters in Chicago. Never had the desire for a 150 buck knife when these work so well.

• Puj
    UnConundrum,[p]Understand, and thanks for the heads up.[p]Puj
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Puj,
    They work pretty well; not as good as a pro (real person), but satisfactory.

• Puj
    Marvin,[p]You have confirmed my expectations. Thanks.[p]Puj

• EggDawg,[p]My $.02: There are better knives out there than Chicago Cutlery. IMHO, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to attain and keep a good edge on those knives. You can use an electric sharpener and/or a whet stone to get a good bevel, then a steel to maintain it, but in order to get Chicago Cutlery knives to cut well, you have to create too shallow a bevel (lacking strength). You want a combination of edge strength and cutting ability -- 15 to 20 deg. angle to the sharpener is about right.[p]I think you would be better off in the long run by buying the best knives (or knife) that you can afford. It makes a real difference in how they cut, and how easy they are to sharpen. My personal favorite are Global knives, which are amazing to use. I use nothing but a ceramic rod to keep them sharp, and they cut like nothing else I have ever used time after time. BTW, they also cut human flesh very well, so you must be careful around the edge (when hand-washing them, for example). On the other hand, they don't slip off whatever you're cutting, so in that way they're safer.[p]Keep your mind and your knives sharp and you'll never have any problems -- ever. 8^)[p]Zen Cooker #1

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    EggDawg,[p]Find a local knife sharpener shop and get them done about once a year. Then get a steel and that should pretty much keep you going. The person who sharpens your knives should be able to get you up to speed on using the steel. They are also a good source of used knives at a decent price too![p]Ashley