Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what is you go to meal on BGE?

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
when having people over to visit, what is the meal you would fix to impress?

I will start, my Pit beef

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Pecan roasted steak with smoked mashed potatoes. I never ever tire of that meal.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Maybe ribs....but whatever it is, it's tons better than what PBM makes.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    How do you "roast" a steak ?
  • Crimsongator
    First you have to invite Cloris Leachman, Courtney Love and Gilbert Gottfried over to the house.....
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Jack Daniels marinated pork tenderloin and ribs.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Now, that's pretty funny...
  • Crimsongator
    I almost said Pam Anderson, but there's only so much a steak can handle ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I can't think of anyone I would invite over that I would want to impress. I am too old for that crap.

If the folks have never had egg food, no mater what I cook it will be impressive to them.

However, if I want to show off and make people wonder what the hell I am doing - that's another issue.

Caveman Stakes or fajitas. Get the lump to a wide burn with the lava look. Have the folks come over and drop those suckers right down on the lump.

Close the dome for 90 seconds, open the dome grab the steaks turn into a new lava looking spot and close the dome for another 90 seconds.

If I am cooking a 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch thick piece of meat it will be done medium rare.

Pull and plate it.

The I watch the faces for them searching but not finding all the ashes.

Never had a caveman cook turn out bad. That's got me thinking, I need to try that on chicken.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    GrillDaddy

Usually, I try and do some kind of meat or fish, although there are a lot of vegetarian dishes that are good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Kent,

Jeezus. You are one attractive man when you're assertive. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    when me and friends get together we like to meet at the store!! they all know i have an egg and i think it impresses them more when you walk in the front door with them and ask "what we eatin tonight?" then they walk away with the impression that next time they will pick something really diffrent to see if i can do it.. with two eggs and all the knowledge i have been taught here i am pretty confident... but there is a thin line between confidence and arrogance :blush: :pinch: B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    you and i need to talk!! :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh:

I am like an old harmless dog on sittin on the porch.

I read about your demo today, sounds like you had a good time as well as made a hit with the Carnivore.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Excellent idea, Rod. A well-made paella is a feast for the eye as well as the palate.
  • Little Steven
    Kent,

Cheers. Dat ole poch dog can have some teeth if you try and get in the house. It was a lot of fun today. Hope Todd gets a deal.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Brad,

Whisper. Rod might have been a little facetious there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I just throw on a couple rib eyes dusted with some DP Cowl Lick and they say "Man that's the best damn steak I ever had!" I get the same reaction from almost anything on the egg but folks love a great steak.
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    I would have to say ribs--the sight of several racks finishing up on the Egg is a real crowd pleaser, and even the pickiest of little kids will dive right in.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    There's just something "magical" about ribs, especially to those who have never really grilled/smoked anything before. Many non-Eggers (and non grillers) think they are a tricky thing to do when nothing could be easier with an egg. There's also that killer effect of the smell of the smoke that just drive people mad.

If I need quick and delicious I'll spatchcock a few birds but ribs are what I do when I want to wow people. Loading up the XL with them just looks fantastic.

bback1.jpg
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I don't have a lot of interest in impressing people. More often than not when we have people over it's for pizza.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Kentucky Bourbon Pork Tenderloin (recipe posted) with

garlic mashed potatoes or leek risotto with white truffel oil and

grilled asparagus or a mix of onions, fennel, and brussels sprouts that are sauteed, braised with with wine or stock.

YUM
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You know me fairly well my little frozen friend.

My response was dual pronged indeed. I do very much enjoy paella and presenting it to good friends when we share a meal.

The subtle meaning to my response would only be known by those who followed the trials and tribulations of my somewhat recent (and al dente) trip to New England.