Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4.5 and up spares

crabby
crabby Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to try these larger spare ribs so I bought a cryovac package of 4 untrimed spare ribs. I trimed them Saint Louis style and plan to cook the ribs and rib tips. Rubbed and friged overnight and will smoke low and slow, foil, and glaze finish. Rib tips no foil and glaze when fork tender. I'm not sure of what to do with the flap meat of which I have a lot. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Cook it with the rib tips. It'll be the first done, giving you something to nibble on.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs! I call it Scotchman's because the night I first did it I had had a few sips of scotch and the recipe evolved.

Chili, Pork, Scotchman's Red Chili

100_1285.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    10 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In Pork
    4-6 Whole Poblano Chiles, Roasted on BGE
    2-3 Cups Bell Peppers, Chopped, I Prefer Red or Yellow
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    3-4 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    20 Whole Tomatoes, Fire Roasted On BGE, Peeled and Crushed
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the rib meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 3-4 cups of meat. The pork roast (3 pieces 2 inches thick) were placed indirect on BGE @350F for 2 1/2 hours. Then placed in the chile pot, bones and all.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/11/08
  • crabby
    crabby Posts: 19
    Thanks Fl Rich. I do have enough trimings to use in my chili recipe instead of chuck. I'm going to give it a try.
    mmmmmmm pork chili. I do like the look of your recipe.

NJ Rich