Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket issue & egg Reseggme'

Options
Lothar
Lothar Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I've had my large egg for one week (popped my "egg cherry" last Friday). So far I have not ruined anything beyond edible - in fact, everything has been quite good. I've used my egg every day for the last week and at times, it has been used twice in a day. I have many things that I still want to try but here is what I have made so far:

Steaks - Best I've ever grilled - day 1 effort.
Chicken breast - boneless/skinless - smoked and quite tasty!
Polish sausage and brats - again, yummy!
Burgers - decent but not my best effort.
Pork Chops - Good but will try with smoke for more flavor next time.
Spatchcock chicken - Incredibly juicy but I used too much rub so it was too salty - easy fix.
Tonight - Flank steak fajitas per Naked Whiz's recipe. Not bad overall!

Here's my gasket issue. Tonight as I was getting ready to throw my flank steak directly on the coals, I opened my lid and discovered that my felt gasket was coming off, both top and bottom gasket. I know that the gasket can wear out but my concern is that I've only been using my egg for a week. Granted, I've used it every day but still, to have to replace the gasket after a week is a little disturbing.

Thoughts anyone? Did I do something wrong or is this just a "fluke" and some kind of manufacturing defect? I know the gasket can be easily replaced but it bothers me that I have to replace it so soon.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Just thinking out loud here...

Could all these toasted gasket problems have to do with people trying to cook really high for their first few cooks?

When I got my egg, I cooked a lot of stuff no higher than 300 degrees. Mostly because I was learning how to properly build a fire and playing with vents and daisy.
    I haven;t had a problem with my gasket - touch wood.

Maybe there shold be a break in period (1 week, 1 month, whatever) where you cook at lower temps up to 350 and gradually build up to higher temps 500 + ?

Thoughts?

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There are a lot of theory's about the why. The problem seems to be the adhesive.

There is a lot of discussion about gaskets which can be reviewed by doing a search.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There has been a problem with adhesive on some of the gaskets.

Your particular problem could be adhesive or simply too much heat on the gasket itself.

Call your dealer for help or call BGE service and see if they will send out the Nomex gaskets.

GG
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    Fair point Michael but from what I've read, the egg needs no break-in period - which, quite honestly, surprises me to some extent. I would have expected that the ceramic would need at least a little bit of breaking in so that it could withstand the high temps but I found nothing that indicated that I should do this.

The very first thing I cooked was steaks. I heated the egg up to 650+ the first night I had it. Since then, until tonight, I cooked everything below 400.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kent,

I'm not sure but I think it may be a communist plot.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There should be no issue with the ceramics.

The gasket adhesive is another question.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm sure you're right - adhesive.

I know there have been a lot of posts about gaskets.

I'm just wonder if there's a pattern to these burnt gaskets. It seems that people are cooking steak and pizza at high temps for their first cooks - just wondering.

And here's my question - I hope you'll respond...

I just bought my second egg - a small - inpsected it and the gasket is applied unevenly. In some places about 1/8" on the inside and 1/8" on the outside in some places. I assume the inside part could burn - maybe taking out part (or all of) the gasket. Do you think I should use an exacto knife to cut the excess on the inside of the egg?

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I agree!!! I was reading a post PBM had about the 'peel adhesive' on the Cotronic gaskets and wondered if those are failing.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kent,

Watch PBM and Fidel like a hawk. You just never know :ohmy:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    For me there are two lives with regard to the felt gaskets. The real old felt gaskets and the newer 'problem prone' felt gaskets.

It was two years ago and gaskets were failing but not like what happened a few months ago.

Those early gaskets mostly failed due to high heat cooks. I lost my first gasket on my first cook due to TRexing steaks. I burped the egg a couple of times then opened the dome, huge flashback, closed the dome because I was startled. I opened the dome and the gasket and adhesive was burned. Simply too much intense heat went over the gasket.

There was a 14" section that looked like the upper right of this picture
    gasket_bge.jpg

The new gasket failures were mostly due to poor adhesive. The gasket falls away from the dome or base and there may or may not be much/any burn of the actual felt.

For your question. My small and mini had sloppy gasket installation from the factory too. I had gaps which, I think was a result of pre-cutting length too short or simply a matter of someone not caring. I ended up getting another gasket and cut some patch for the gaps.

For trimming the gasket I ended up using a single edge razor blade. It dulled pretty quick and I ended up using 2 or 3 blades for the bottom and the same for the top. It was just easier to have a real sharp blade. Whatever you use hold the blade to the angle of the ceramic.

As for the gasket being inside/outside the ceramic... On the outside of the egg that will depend on you. If it bothers you then trim it off - I trimmed mine off. I wasn't sure if I should let the inside burn off or trim it. The more I thought about I got to wondering if letting it burn off would that then have more of a tendency to have the gasket fail. I trimmed both inside and outside.

I have no idea if it really matters other than for appearance.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    ... especially when they get Bubba Tim going.

Kent
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    GG:

Thanks for the response.

Going through a couple of blades is easier and cheaper than applying a new gasket. If trimming the gasket MIGHT prevent the replacement - I'm in.

Thanks,

Michael
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Excellent job! Congrats and welcome to the EggNation!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I heard that! :whistle::whistle: I have had zero problems with the clotronics adhesive. One has been on Ole Lady for 8 months now. They are on all our eggs. Even the mine we sold to Kim. Some people have an issue because it is not food safe. I don't let my food touch it.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Big Stash
    Big Stash Posts: 1
    Options
    I bought an egg that had a packing date of 16 Oct 08. It came with an extra gasket set and a note that said:
    "To BGE customers:
    It has been brought to our attention that some EGGs in this lot number may have received a gasket with inadequate adhesive. This may not be the case with your EGG, but as a precaution we are including an extra gasket."

Based on this I'm sure if you give them a call they will ship you a new gasket set.