Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump

FajingFajing Posts: 34
edited 1:50AM in EggHead Forum
I got a bag of BGE lump with my Egg. I've blown through it and can't see spending $25 for another one when I can go to Walmart and 20 lb of Royal Oak for $10.

From the reviews it seems to me that BGE lump and Royal Oak are the same thing. Am I missing something here, other than the opportunity to pay more than twice as much for the same damn thing?
·

Comments

• Panhandle SmokerPanhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    After my bag of BGE lump I have used R/O ever since. I think that the BGE lump was bigger but R/O does fine. I wish we could get Ozark Oak or Wicked Good down here but I guess R/O is the next best thing. $6.35 for a 10 lb bag of R/O vs $23. for 20 lbs of BGE. :ermm:
    ·
  • FajingFajing Posts: 34
    Have you looked into making your own?
    ·
    Probably not going to go that far.
    ·
  • FajingFajing Posts: 34
    Me neither. Just saw something about it on E-Bay and it looks interesting. But then there's only so much time and I don't know if that's the way I want to use it.
    ·
    My thoughts exactly
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    RO private labels for BGE, Kroger and several other companies.

GG
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    FWIW, here's a web page about a friend up the road who makes his own lump:

Big-R's Guide To Making Your Own Lump
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Wicked Lump available in Jacksonville, Orlando, St. Augustine, and Elkton in FL.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/florida-new.htm

I used this website to find a retail location Wicked Lump.
    ·
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    You can buy the red bag and save some greenbacks.
    On the other hand some people just like a green bag around their charcoal.
    The 10 Lb. red bag is easier to carry. The last two red bags I have used had some huge pieces included.
    ·