Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump

FajingFajing Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a bag of BGE lump with my Egg. I've blown through it and can't see spending $25 for another one when I can go to Walmart and 20 lb of Royal Oak for $10.

From the reviews it seems to me that BGE lump and Royal Oak are the same thing. Am I missing something here, other than the opportunity to pay more than twice as much for the same damn thing?
·

Comments

• Panhandle SmokerPanhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    After my bag of BGE lump I have used R/O ever since. I think that the BGE lump was bigger but R/O does fine. I wish we could get Ozark Oak or Wicked Good down here but I guess R/O is the next best thing. $6.35 for a 10 lb bag of R/O vs $23. for 20 lbs of BGE. :ermm:
    ·
  • FajingFajing Posts: 34
    Have you looked into making your own?
    ·
    Probably not going to go that far.
    ·
  • FajingFajing Posts: 34
    Me neither. Just saw something about it on E-Bay and it looks interesting. But then there's only so much time and I don't know if that's the way I want to use it.
    ·
    My thoughts exactly
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    RO private labels for BGE, Kroger and several other companies.

GG
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    FWIW, here's a web page about a friend up the road who makes his own lump:

Big-R's Guide To Making Your Own Lump
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Wicked Lump available in Jacksonville, Orlando, St. Augustine, and Elkton in FL.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/florida-new.htm

I used this website to find a retail location Wicked Lump.
    ·
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    You can buy the red bag and save some greenbacks.
    On the other hand some people just like a green bag around their charcoal.
    The 10 Lb. red bag is easier to carry. The last two red bags I have used had some huge pieces included.
    ·