Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pork loin indirect

Options
Boomer
Boomer Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just placed the 4# seasoned loin indirect over a apple juiced drip pan, dome temp is 250degrees, wondering how long should i let this cook for, please help...

Boomer...

Comments

• Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I like to pull my loins at 147 degrees when measuring the center of the loin and wrap them and they should go up to 155 F while wrapped in foil and a towel. Otherwise the loin dries out very quickly. If it gets up to 160 or above it gets dried out. Anything above 137 degrees is considered safe. But most people do not like the slightly pink center at 144 F.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I try to pull sliced pork at 145° no different than Mahi-Mahi above.

I read a post the other day where Little Chef (LC) pulls hers at 140° then the rest. LC is a chef so on my next pork for slicing I am going to follow her suggestion.

Good cooking.

GG
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Options
    thanks for the feedback, however, how many hrs will or should it take to cook indirect?

Boomer...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Your piece at 250° dome I would guess somewhere around 3 hrs. (2 to 4 hours).

I don't have a good feel for time of sliced pork. If I were cooking your size I would guess 3 hrs and then foil and wrap in heavy blankets thinking it would rest (stay warm/hot) for another 2 to 4 hours after being pulled.

Most importantly cook to temperature not time.

GG