Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hefe Weizen Pizza Dough

TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a number of suggestions to use beer in my pizza dough, tonight was the maiden voyage. AZRP dough recipe as usual but with the water replaced with Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. Weissbier or Weizenbier is my favorite. Both are wheat beers Weiss is white and Weizen is wheat, different names for the same beer. Hefe is German for yeast, as compared to Kristal Weissbier which has the yeast filtered out. I used the top half of the bottle so I didn't intentionally add the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. To keep the comparison relevant I used my last package of Bobboli sauce and Mozarrella and Provalone and Turkey Pepperoni. The crust/dough was my best yet. Just a subtle difference but nice. I was worried that the clove flavor of the beer would come through too strong. The dough was aged for 4 day in the frig and then cook at 500 with the typical indirect pizza stone. The final product
IMG_0607b.jpg
IMG_0606b.jpg

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Sounds like a familiar tip.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sounds good.

i find it strange you were concerned about the yeast getting into the dough...

i mean... dontcha have to add yeast to the dough anyway? brewer's yeast would work. might take a tad longer, but would be interesting to see how it did.

i brewed once with a culture of the wiehenstephan strain (oldest beer yeast strain that's been continually cultivated). most of my other types of ales took three days to brew, and tapered off after that. i went down to check on the weisbier the next morning and thought that my fermentation had gone wrong, because there was no action. but it had actually consumed all the sugar in about 24 hours, and was DONE. the day before, a couple hours after pitching the yeast, it looked like a rolling boil in the carboy, as they yeast devoured the sugar.

i bet it would be a great addition, using the yeast from the weisbeer instead of regular yeast.

it's not dangerous, and the yeast won't be dead.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Looks good/sounds good!
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Stike:

I was thinking the same thing to just use the Weihenstephan strain pure . But decided to got slow first. Next time maybe I'll just use a smack pack of the pure strain.

Darnoc:

Yes it is a good tip!Thanks to you and the others who recommended it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice work Tom! My fav beer! Yum!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Looks great, thanks for tonight's menu!