Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork ribs, Low & Slow or grilled

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to get an ideal of what everyone prefers as a way to cook ribs. temp & times, w/ or wo plate setter

I have read and seen on TV it done both ways.

Thanks all

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I know it is blasphemy but after 13 cooks trying all the different methods that have been posted here, we like 375 degrees indirect followed by 30 min direct on a large.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Wow, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone grill ribs. I've done so-called country ribs, and western ribs at higher temps, 350 - 400. Occasionally I'll try spares of BB's fast at 350, but then I have them in a beer bath in a pan.

Usually, its 250 dome, just a drip pan, and as many hours as it takes to get them tender, which depends in part on the slab's weight.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Lo and slo with a plate setter or woo2 with baking stone on a med egg. I must admit I haven't found the perfect rib cook yet (Egg owner since Dec 08)but I am close and next rib cook should be the one.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Ribs aren't easy. I've cooked them all the way from 6 hours indirect at 250º, to the 3-2-1 drill favored by many here, to 1 hour direct at 350º on a raised grid. All of them have been OK, and none of them has been as good as I think I can do.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    my preference is 225/250 til done cooking raised grill direct, but i change it up depending on what i want that day. chineese style ribs up around 325 inderect. 311 around 275/300 inderect and direct etc. best to cook all the methods and experiment til you find what YOU like
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    There is nothing wrong with doing ribs hot and fast. They are different than smoked ribs of course, and some purists won't consider them true Barbecue for that reason. They are both good IMHO, I do them both.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I think I may have screwed up. I'm doing MY first babyback cook, also. I layered Jack Daniels chips with my lump. After the egg was ready, I tossed in a few chunks of cherry wood. I got my set-up how I wanted it. Everything seemed fine. Well, I just checked the temp and it was fine BUT my yard smells like a drunk is smoking a pipe! I hope this doesn't ruin the meat.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Having done both ways I am setteled on low and slow. The texture is much better as well as the flavor. I prefer the slow cook methood. :)