Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Pizza Dinner Tonight

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
337%3C3%3A9923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C333%3B2%3C%3Bot1lsi
<p />If you haven't tried a frozen pizza on your Egg I urge you to do so. This is a DiGiorno Supreme cooked at 525° (gradually dropped to 480°) and served for dinner in about 25 minutes. There were a couple of pieces leftover smoking wood (Oak I think) on the Egg. This was the best one yet and it was fantastic.[p]I just wanted to show you what one looks like up close.[p]Spring (full-a-pizza) Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I've had my egg for over 4 years and have yet to try pizza. DiGiorno seems to be a good place to start. I assume I would use the plate setter with a pizza stone on top. Do you recommend flower or corn meal on the pizza stone? Do you preheat the stone?
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I use a pizza stone with a platter setter. Corn meal on the pizza peal. Homemade dough and Spin's sauce (BGE forum recipes), plus toppings. On a large Egg, a 9 inch pizza takes about 10 minutes at 500-550 degrees. Preheat the stone for 15-20 minutes before putting the pizza on. The Egg makes great pizza![p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Smokey,
    I found that using a pizza stone on the plate setter, that it was best to use the time and temps on the box for DiGiorno. Spin played around some to and he recommends putting it on a grid on the stone as I recall. I've not tried that or using a pizza screen. But just plain on the stone with the box time and temps seemed to work well. If you feel like experimenting, buy some of the DiGiorno cheese pizzas. They aren't too expensive and you can try different things.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    337%3C434%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C333%3B2%3C9ot1lsi
    <p />Smokey,
    Yes, plate setter and pizza stone on as soon as I lit her up. No corn meal (tried that once and had a lot of toasted corn meal). Put the frozen pizza on right out of the package when the temperature hit 525° and it dropped back to 500° for a couple of minutes. I had to leave the daisy wheel completely open until it got back up to temperature. I then closed the daisy wheel down a bit and let it slowly drop over the next 8 to 9 minutes. Then I rotated the pizza front to back to even the crust cooking. I let the temp climb back to about 500° and then slowly drop from there until time to take off. Interestingly, the outside crust ring puffed up better this time over previous cooks. I think the old leftover oak chunks really made a difference in the flavor. Even my wife said it was the best ever and probably three times better than the same pizza cooked in a regular oven. [p]I've been tempted many times to try a pizza from scratch but this was is so easy and tasty that I always give in to convenience. Try it, I think you will like it.[p]Spring Chicken

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    finished%20sausage.JPG
    <p />Spring Chicken,[p]Corn meal wouldnt be needed being that the dough is already cooked. Also, I find making from complete scratch inconvienant also;the dough. Next time goto your local pizza shop and buy dough already made...alot of work already done.[p]ST
  • the Fat Man
    Options
    JK,
    Go to www.chefandthefatman.com...recipe...July 12th....This is a good starting block for you, we've done this several times and everyone seems to enjoy it.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    the Fat Man,
    Thanks. I will keep it in mind. Sounds good.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Thanks for the reminder about the pizza dough. I remember reading it sometime back and thinking that's gotta be a lot easier than making dough from scratch. I am particularly fond of Pizza Hut's crust. I wonder if they sell the dough without the pizza? Think I will check on that today.[p]Spring Chicken

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    When you cook at 500° and you raise your lid to turn your pizza etc.. Do you have trouble with flames shooting up.. Ever time I try and cook at higher temps, when I open it up the flames will shoot up and with my lid locked In I find myself having to cover my left arm with a towel so I can hold the dome up and releasse the lock with my right hand..[p]I just avoid cooking over 400°.. But even at that temp Ive had trouble, like when Im doing wings and have to leave the lid up long enough to turn them..[p] [p]Dylan

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    The only time I have serious flareups is when I'm cooking at very high temperatures like steak or fatty hamburgers. Even then I close the bottom vent so it isn't sucking air. I also learned a long time ago to have some welders gloves handy. Mine are clipped to my BGE Center door. [p]Hee Hee One of my first questions on the Forum was "how long does it take to grow back knuckle hair?" The response was "Welcome to BGEing."[p]No, I just raise the lid once or twice during the pizza cook. First time is to rotate it. I kinda know from experience that I should do it after one rum 'n coke. The rest is check'n see about five minutes later. It isn't rocket science. More like practice, practice, practice.[p]Spring Chicken

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    I usually use the pan or the pizza peel I'm holding in my right hand to push down the lock lever.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz