Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please list....

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just to keep Brenda from getting bored why don't we all list where we're from and how we got our handles or what our handles mean and how long we've had an EGG®. I figure this hasn't been done in about 5 months now.

Atlanta, GA Born here and still here.

BoBBy-Q comes from Bobby and BBQ thrown together.

Owned an EGG for 21 years now.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Born and raised just north of Kansas City. Lived in the Atlanta area for 12 years now since I got out of the service.

Fidel comes from the fact that I love cigars (though I don't partake nearly as often as I used to) and I run my business and my personal life like a dictator.

Owned my large 7 years next month, my mini almost 3 years and my medium about 2.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Born and Raised in Albany, NY, moved to the Syracuse Area and then South.

I now live in Kittrell, NC

I am of Celtic Ancestry. Wolves are just cool animals and a spirit guide.

Bought my fist Egg at the 1st Annual Eggs By the Bay 2006.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Tucson, AZ

AZRP=Arizona Randy Price

About 6 years
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    born in NH, living in MA (work out of Boston)

"stike" is may last name minus the last few letters

i'm an illustrator and general p.i.t.a.

owned a large for maybe 6 years now. small followed 2 years later
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Spring Texas
    Spring Chicken because I live in Spring and cooked chicken first on my first Egg back in 1999.

Now the proud owner/operator of The Chicken Ranch and The Coop.

Won my Spring Hen in a poker game in New Orleans.

Spring "Never A Dull Moment" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    2006?!?!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Won my Spring Hen in a poker game in New Orleans
    :woohoo: would loveto here HER side of this story :whistle:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Canoga Park, California which is part of San Fernando Valley.

GTIPROD stands for GTI PRODUCTS, which is my business. I sell Industrial Fasteners and Supplies.

I just got my BGE XL last week end and still haven't used it because I am making a table for it.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I'm Doug Mewhort

Been a computer geek for nigh on 30 years now my name is simple been dmewhort for most of that, not very creative but change doesn't come quickly.

Born in Victoria BC.
    Raised in Kamloops BC.
    These days a software architect in Edmonton Alberta

My egg is 6 days old.

Proud new egg daddy, and happy to be part of this community

Doug
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Central MA

Stole the famous navigator Captain Cook's name for a handle, wife became the First Mate. Sometimes use the word Endeavour (The name of one of Captain Cook's ships) in my posts.

Three year egger. I large egg but thinking about adding a small.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If only you could somehow find a way to use your eggs in some sort of benevolent or philanthropic manner.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Huntsville, AL

I am Florida grad and wife is Alabama grad

Been egging for 5 years
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I live in Nothern Virginia and first name is Bill hence NoVA Bill

been on the forum since dec 08

Own a Med, having a table build by taproot 'cause I can't "measure twice and cut once". Once the table gets here in two or so weeks will start looking for a mini to complement my Med.

I work in telecommuncations sales
  • Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    Born in Elkhart, IN; lived for a while in South Bend, then moved to Middlebury.

The handle comes from BBQ and the tendency to ask questions.

It seems I was the first customer for one of your new dealers when I bought the "cheap" grill they had on sale (Bontrager pools, Elkhart IN - and the other grill was a 4-burner TEC).
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Born across the street from Chicago, grew up in Oklahoma, now live on the Jersey Shore. Jersey Doug = where I live + my name. Jersey Girl and I brought our Small back from Waldorf 2008, bought our Large to keep it company in June 2008, and brought our Mini back from Waldorf 2009.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    She had the loosing hand...LOL
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    How I got my handle -

... there were a couple of dishes I make for the kids and grand kids that are special (to them). I haven't shared the recipes with them. The term came up when the kids said lets go to grandpas and get some grub. One of the grand kids started saying grandpas grub. I put all those 'special' recipes in a book - Grandpas Grub' (which I haven't given to anyone yet).

How long and how I found out about BGE's -

... I knew absolutely nothing about ceramic cookers other than the American Indians in our area had huge mounds for baking.

Like a lot of people I bought grills/smokers over and over again looking for the 'perfect' solution. I was trying to find yet another smoker as I didn't like any of the 7 grills/smokers I had.

One of my daughters worked for a local grocery store chain. The chain hires consultants to bring new ideas, recipes and improvements to our area from other areas of the country.

I was about ready to buy an offset barrel smoker and my daughter called me and said she talked to store's consultant about me grilling and smoking. He said there is a 'cooker' out there that is green and looks like an egg. The people who have them claim the food is supposed to be really good. He jokingly, in a good way, said he heard the people seem to be somewhat in a cult.

Not at all happy with what I had in the past and at the time I got on google looking for eggs. One can imagine what came up - I saw a log of egg recipes. I added 'egg green'. Early evening I finally came across this forum. I read and read the posts into the early morning. About noon the next day looked and found the actual BGE site and then local dealers. There were two. I called both, the first salesperson was clueless but made sure he was on commission when I came in to get one.

The next dealer knew a little more. That afternoon I had my large and was cooking.

Now a little over 2 years have passed and all the old grills/smokers are out of the yard and replaced with the large, a medium, small and mini.

GG
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    My name is Mark Tate. Grew up in Cinti, Ohio and Midway, Ky. UC grad and Navy vet. Love the Bayous ever since Survival School in Black Bayou and the Everglades. My former handle was porkbutt but after moving to Lafayette (home to Vermillion, and Bayou Teche, and just west of Atchafalaya) I changed my name to Bayou Mark. Worked in healthcare (last stint psychiatry) looking for something in Lafayette. Owned a large for a year now. Will add another large and maybe a Stumps if I hit the lottery. B)

Learning a lot here and I'm a fan of Emerson if you can't tell :whistle:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey Tom, Glen Bontrager is a good friend of mine. -RP
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    San Dieggo, the kids in my neighborhood called me The Babequetioner. I BBQ almost everynight. Have had my egg for about 3 months. Doing some gyros tonight.
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    I was born in Texas and lived there for 32 years before I
    started hopping around the country chasing the almighty dollar.
    I've been here in Idaho for the past 15 years and will stay
    here another 10 as long as the semiconductor industry holds out.

I've had my Large BGE for about 5 years now.

wannabebackinTexas kinda says it all, huh?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've lived in Florida for 36 years now and all of it in the swimming pool construction/ remodel business so the name of course FlaPoolman (the tag on my wifes car is poolman :whistle: )

Cooked on my first egg about 14 years ago and bought my first large 9-10 years ago.

Currently at 2 larges and 1 small,,,,maybe a mini in the future or maybe trade Fidel 1 of the larges for a medium :laugh: :huh

Also didn't find the forum until 2006, lurked for 2 years and found all the answers I needed without posting then registered in late 2008 and can't shut up now :blush:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    fishless because i fish somewhere near 200 days a year and never bring fish home for the table B) born and lived in new hampshire most of my life, now a certified mashole living in massachusetts. im not sure newhampshire will let me back in. :laugh: im thinking it must be about 8 years with an egg. instead of buying the traditional house, i opted for 2 small camps, one in mass and the other in maine, im always going to camp to fish and egg :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Bacchus was my class name in High School Latin. It sounds alot like my real last name, so my friends kind of went with it as a nickname. Years later I became quite fond of Red Wine, meanwhile some of my old time friends were still going with the "Bacchus" nickname so it all just kind of fit.
    Moved to Metro Atlanta at age 5 in 1971 and have never left aside for college.
    I grew up in Dunwoody and drove past the BGE store on Buford Hwy and Clairmont many times as a kid, always wondering what it was about. As a young adult I rented a house with 3 roomies, and low and behold there was an egg on the back patio. I cooked many butts, roasts, and turkeys on that old one, much to the delight of the roomies. Bought my first egg about 15 years later in 2008.

Ron
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You had a mini for a period of time :whistle:
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    I guess I'm a nomad.

Born in St. Louis
    Lived in:
    Houston
    Venezuela
    Houma, La.
    Harvey, La.
    Nairn, Scotland
    Coraopolis, PA
    Columbus, MS
    Beaumont, Tx.
    Houma, La
    Moving to Corpus Christi, Tx

All moves work related with the same company except the last one.

Civil Engineer - LSU

Was retired for 5 years. Got an "F" in retirement so went back to work. 401k became a 104k :unsure:

Handle: Frank in Houma - No imagination - Saw Mike in Abita and followed suit

XLBGE - 2-1/2 years
    SBGE - 2 years
    MiniBGE - 6 months
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    South Bend, IN, where I've lived most of my life. Got my first medium just 3 years ago from Bontragers, like Tom above, but from the Mishawaka store. Got medium 2 from the Elkhart store.

Handle is just the first Unix account ID I was given back around '94. Work as a museum preparator.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The explanation of the name is on my website in the Ceramic FAQ because the explanation is too long and tortured to type over and over.

I got my first Egg on Father's Day 2001, and the small about a year later. The medium was a 1/2 price windfall from Ace Hardware which decided it only wanted to sell larges.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    I bet your website just got a thousand hits. What a way to boost, curious people want to know.

The filly
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Live on a golf course and play as often as I can. Every time I had a good round going I seemed to be plagued by the dreaded "double bogey" or sometimes worse. Chose it for my handle in the hopes all double bogeys would be on appear on the forum and not my scorecard.

Lived for about 30 years in Suffolk, Virginia (about 30 miles from VA Beach). Born in Portsmouth, VA.

First egg was a large about 7 years ago followed by a small 3 years later and added a mini at the Florida Fest this year.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.