Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friends have invited us to a "Great Depression" party. We are going in 30's dress and everyone is bringing an appetizer. It's supposed to be very cheap and frugal in spirit of the party.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    South of the Border Stuffed Fritos

Recipe
    1# lean ground beef
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    4-5 oz. of salsa or taco sauce
    1/4 cup fine chopped onion
    1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all together and stuff some Frito Scoops

Indirect at 350 until 150* (about 20 minutes)

Top with sour cream and/or guacamole. Pack a ziplock and cut a small hole in the corner to use as a squeeze bag.

IMG_1803800x600.jpg

IMG_1813800x600.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Cook up some of your favorite ribs and then eat them. Take the bones.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    bordelo did some smoked deviled eggs last week that looked good. if its not just appetizers, tomato or onion pie would fit the bill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    From the stories I've heard about the Great Depression, thin soup was considered a very welcome meal. A small piece of meat in it was rare. A piece of bread, especially with some butter, made it a special meal worthy of praise.

You could make up a Dutch Oven batch of soup and a pan of cornbread to take to the party. Anything more than that is overkill. Cook it on the Egg to get that campfire flavor.

Spring "Great Recession Survivor" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    BTW - If you decide to do these, they are okay cold but better warm. If your drive is not far you could pull them off just before you leave, plate them, and foil them. Bring the sour cream and guac along and top them after you get there. Some folks may ask for them without the sour cream. I personally like them with just the sour cream. They are like mini tacos.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Just about anything with Spam would be great. Put in on some skewers with onion and peppers or some pineapple. Or, how about a big pot of Keri's hog-apple baked beans?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yeah why spend money on 30's garb. Today's outfits will work too... :ohmy:

Pulled Beef made from Chuck Roast. Used to be a real cheap cut of beef and according to my mother about the only beef people could afford during the depression.
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    Frank,
    I like the stuffed Frito's idea for a get together we are having. Dumb question I have to ask is did you brown the meat first or did you let it cook in the frito's??? :unsure: Let me know
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hotdog flavored water. In the depression they would boil hotdogs for dinner and then serve the water they were boiled in as soup the next day.