Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which is easier for good stuff - Pulled Pk or Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a relatively new owner of a BGE. I was just wondering whether ribs or pulled pork is easier to get good results.[p]My first run at ribs was not pretty.[p]Next time I will try low and slow.[p]Any comments will be appreciated.[p]KL

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    KL,[p]Pulled pork is quite easy but you'll probably want to cook overnight.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    KL,
    Ribs are easy from the standpoint that they don't take long and you can watch the temperature if you are still learning temp control.[p]Butts/pulled pork are easy in that you just rub them up and put them on, but since you probably will do them overnight, you either have to master temperature control or keep getting up to watch the temperature.[p]And of course, they are two very different foods when done.[p]I've had good success with ribs using the 3-1-1.5 method (3 hours indirect at 250, 1 hour in foil at 250 and 1.5 hours indirect at 250, saucing for the last hour.) That first 3 hours at 250 should give you some practice for temperature control that you will need to do overnighters.[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    KL,
    Before, I attempted an all night lo and slow,( of which I had reservations,) I needed experience with other cooks, such as rib's, prime rib, Mr. Toads tenderloin, and vegtables, etc; only then did I attempt to do pulled pork.
    While it is hard to mess up on the BGE, I would suggest a longer learning curve until you feel comfortable.
    The folks on this forum will assist you, just ask.
    Hammer

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    KL,[p]I would go with the pulled pork. We are still hit & miss with ribs, but yet to have a less than outstanding butt cook.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Mr.Hyde,
    LOL
    I also have trouble with ribs, thats why they end up in my bean stew. Long slow cook and the meat falls off of the bones and adds good flavor. I could not eat "my" ribs otherwise.[p]A great weekend to ya,
    New Bob