Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First babyback eggsperience

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor decided to host a Memorial Day block party, and I volunteered to bring ribs. Having never prepared ribs on the BGE and with 7 adults plus 8 kids depending on me, there was a little pressure to perform. I read a bunch of recipes here on the Forum and decided to go with CarWash Mike's method that I found on Thirdeye's website. So first of all, thanks to BOTH of you guys for the information and the inspiration.

I picked up 6 slabs of babybacks from my local grocery store on Sunday, and when I got home I realized there was no way they would all fit in my large BGE. I don't have an extra grid to cook in layers. So I froze 2 slabs and early Monday morning I began the prep.

Here are my ingredients.

firstribsprep.jpg

I don't have and Bad Byron's Butt Rub or and Dizzy rubs yet, so I used what was available at the grocery store and went with Salt Lick. After patting the BB's dry and removing the membranes (harder than I thought it would be) the yellow mustard and rub were liberally applied.

firstribsrubbed.jpg

The prepped slabs were returned to the fridge while I prepared the Egg. I use Ozark Oak and stabilized to 200*, and after the ribs chilled in the fridge for an hour they went onto the Egg on an inverted V-rack. Just before placing the ribs I added apple and cherry chips for smoke. Wish I would have had chunks! I don't have a stoker, guru, etc. so I had to babysit the Egg for a while, but I feel like I did a good job keeping the temp between 200-210. Here's how the BB's looked after 1 hour. Pretty crammed in there, eh?

firstribs1hour.jpg

firstribs1hour-2.jpg

Here they are after 2 hours.

firstribs2hours.jpg

firstribs2hours-2.jpg

And at 3 hours.

firstribs3hours.jpg

firstribs3hours-2.jpg

... more to come in a separate post, I don't know if there's a limit to the size of a single post.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've seen pictures of 20 racks on a large (1 grate) You coulda squeezed those 2 on. They look real nice though. Sure all will go as planned.
  • mojo
    Options
    At the 3 hour mark I pulled the ribs and double wrapped them in HDAF containing apple juice/apple cider vinegar. I kind of guessed at this step. Since I had 4 slabs I made up 16 oz. of solution comprised of 14 oz. apple juice plus 2 oz. vinegar, then added 4 oz. to each slab. Here they are sealed and back on the Egg. I bumped the temp up to about 225* at this stage.

firstribsfoiled.jpg

After an hour in the foil here's how they looked.

firstribsafterfoiling.jpg

I did the "bend" test and felt they weren't yet ready.

firstribsbendtest.jpg

So back on to the Egg they went, along with more cherry and apple chips and at 250*. They looked like this, now at about 4.5 hours.

firstribs4hours.jpg

At the 5 hour mark they bent much easier, so I pulled and sauced them while taking the Egg up to 275*. Here they are sauced.

firstribssauced.jpg

And that's where the photo journal ends. After 30 minutes the ribs were pulled, foiled, and placed into a cooler with towels for about 3 hours until the party began. They were a HUGE hit and went rather quickly. The meat came off the bone pretty well, although the bones could have been left cleaner. I was surprised just how spicy the Salt Lick rub turned out to be and thought I had added too much, but the sweetness of the SBR sauce really added a nice contrast, and even my 5 year old daughter ate 3 ribs!

All in all, I feel like this 1st rib venture was a success, especially considering the number of racks I prepared on my first attempt. I know I can do better and I appreciate everyone's help here on the Forum. Please feel free to critique my cook, and thanks for reading these long posts!
  • mojo
    Options
    Ripnem wrote:
    I've seen pictures of 20 racks on a large (1 grate) You coulda squeezed those 2 on. They look real nice though. Sure all will go as planned.
    Wow, I need to see a picture of that!!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them ribs, they look great. What has worked for me is as Mike says in his presentation, start around 225 then bump up to 250 about 1/2 way through, then up to 275 to finish. This has worked for me and the meat always pulls clean from the bones.

You have the right idea by foiling to steam the ribs, but later you may try cooking unfoiled until finished. If you do it right they will be just as moist and tender, and the bark will be incredible.

Again very nice job ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Ribs look great. One of the best tips I got for ribs was if the temp is stable don't open the dome for the first 3 hours. The hardest habit to break after getting my first egg was to resist peeking to make sure I wasn't burning the cook or needing to flip.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Get after some Dizzy Pig (all of em) and Bad Byrons as well. Here's the thread of 20.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=62119&catid=1

The look great. :ohmy: You won't be so surprised in the future...just pay attention and the Egg does mosta the work. People just love the food. Isn't it fun?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    ttp://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2007/messages/371884.htm
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    mojo,

Good looking cook and congrats! Feels pretty good doesn't it. Get used to it ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    FYI..

You can get six slabs on if you cut them in half and stand each half up in your rack like this:

http://newjerseyegger.shutterfly.com/33

Two halves standing side-by-side in each slot of your rack.

And here's the foil treatment. Rack removed:

http://newjerseyegger.shutterfly.com/31#28
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) Love it when a man performs under pressure :ohmy:
    You done good :lol:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mike,

Great job on the ribs! I remember first cooking ribs on the egg, and how much fun it was. Yup, after all those ribs I've cooked, I still like CWM's method (on thirdeye's site...) the best.

I did some pork butts over the weekend for our neighborhood's block party and nothing came back at the end--all of it was gone-pecan :)

What part of Austin are you in? I'm up in RR just off 620.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    GrEGG....Great photo. Thanks for posting it. I think it really helps when people can see what others have done. ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Don't think you should have had to many complaints. :woohoo:
    Looks good to me.

Mike
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!! The sauce-soaked faces of the eaters and the approval of this Forum make it all worth while.

Firetruck- Thanks for the tips on temp, and after the foiling them I did the "bend" test. They weren't ready to finish, so I did cook them about another 30 minutes unfoiled before saucing.

FlaPoolman- I'll heed your advice, but if I wouldn't have peeked every hour then I would have gotten flamed for not showing pics ;) .

Ripnem- I'm ordering the Dizzy and Byron's today, I've gone too many cooks wanting them and being without. I've found decent substitutes, but with all of the praise those companies receive there's really no excuse for me to not be using them already. Oh, and thanks to the link to that Naked Whiz thread, that's incredible!

LittleSteven- Thanks Bro!

NJ-GrEGG- Great pics, really shows what I was looking for. Thanks!

Desert Oasis Woman- That comment was a little naughty. Mojo Likey!

Beanie-Bean- I read about your block party, you did great, but then again you always seem to shine on the Egg from what I can tell.

I live in Westlake near Westlake High, right on the greenbelt and with a downtown view. If I gaze over the dome of my BGE I can see the Capitol. I actually met you at the EggFest. I was the dummy who asked you questions about your pork skewers, and you taught me the trick about placing foil beneath the skewers so they don't burn. I thought you were a really nice guy and I was happy that you won the XL/table.

Little Chef- Agree with your comment, and I'm humbled that you visited this newbie's thread.

carwash mike- "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy."
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Looks like you could easily fit two more racks across the top with no problems. :laugh:
  • mojo
    Options
    I see now that there was some space for more, but I was under the impression that the racks would cook better if they were not in contact with each other. After seeing that 20-rack photo, now I know better.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i noticed your captions were auf Deutsch. but you are in New Jersey....

Was gibt?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NJ-GrEGG
    Options
    Hi Stike!

I origionally put those set of pictures together for the German BBQ forum www.mybbq.net. One of their moderators "Don Marco" shows up on the egghead forum sometimes.

As for me...I studied Deutsch through High School and College, and spent a semester in Austria. Fun times!
  • mojo
    Options
    NJ-GrEGG I just looked at your photos again, and I really like the rib rack you use. The height seems to make all the difference so that the racks don't fold over and contact one another. Do you recall where you got it?
  • NJ-GrEGG
    Options
    I got it at "Le Gourmet Chef" in our local mall.

http://www.legourmetchef.com/Temp_Store_Locator.cfm?StoreLocator=Y

It does the job, but it's a bit of a pain to put together and cleaning it afterwards is a chore. But I keep it on hand for those times when I need to cook that many slabs. It was not expensive.
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Based on your photos I feel that the advantages of the tall dividers outweighs the PITA factor that goes along with cleaning it. If I find one, I'm buying it!