Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about ribs on a MEDIUM

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ive done ribs on my medium BGE already, by my question is about doing a lot of ribs on it.

How many racks of ribs do you think it can hold, and what is the best way to do it? If I am using a plate setter, can I still use the grid extender and still be able to close the lid ok?

Thanks for any pointers you can give!

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Dex:

I was able to get six slabs of baby backs once.

Click on this link to see

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    SSN686 wrote:
    Morning Dex:

I was able to get six slabs of baby backs once.

Click on this link to see

That is an incredible picture. I have a large that I am using right now but I have a medium sitting brand new in it's box waiting for me to get my deck finished.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Now there's a blast from the past! Haven't seen the old forum in a while. Didn't know the post were still there. As the ribs 686 has managed to cram more than I ever dreamed of!! :pinch: I can get 4 on laying flat using this set up so I can still spray or shake rub on them easly however som will be over laped a little.
    NEW08022-1.jpg
  • Dex
    Options
    wow..... what rib rack are you using?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Dex:

One that I got at Lowes (if I remember correctly). It is a "Rib & Potato Rack". On each end are "spikes" that you can stick a potato on if you so desire. I have only used it as a rib rack though.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    You can try this method, can get 4 for sure maybe 5. This is how I do mine because of my tiny medium Egg. I water my Egg every day but it still hasn't grown any bigger :(

shanaynay135.jpg

shanaynay141.jpg

shanaynay148.jpg
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    I'm not advising against using a rib rack, but mine rusted away long ago and I haven't bothered to replace it. I use the cast iron grid over the platesetter (feet pointing up), cut the racks in half shortways, and just stack them on top of the area covered by the platesetter. Sometimes I move them around, if I remember. 3 hours at 225°, foil for two more hours with an ounce or so of your choice of liquid, same temp, unfoil and cook as in the beginning one more hour, adding sauce the last 20 minutes. The classic BGE 3/2/1 ribs made famous by others.

I've got the large, but do cook on a medium on occasion, and I believe you could get at least 6 racks on a medium, just watch your thermometer probe sticking into the meat.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Here's what 4 racks of spare ribs look like using the BGE V Rack. In hind sight the racks should have been cut in half not thirds and another couple of racks should have fit.

DSCN0195.jpg

Good luck,
  • Dex
    Options
    I guess I am wondering if I am using my plate setter, can I still put on the BEG grill extender and still be able to close the lid? I Havent bought it yet, but if it will work and give me two surfaces while indirect, I'm going to go pick one up.

This is the grill exitender I am talking about. Can I use this and my plate setter?

http://www.biggreenegg.com/artwork/Grill-Extender.gif