Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gyros Question

Options
oldfishinglure
oldfishinglure Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a search on them on the forum and found what looks to be a good recipe.Never done them and they are one of my favorite sandwich type foods, besides a philly cheese steak...

Im all on board with the recipe...2 Small questions

How on earth do you Deseed a cucumber?

And what is a tea towel to strain the yogurt in plain english?

Matt
www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    To deseed a cucumber, cut in half length wise and scrape the seeds out with a spoon.

To do the yogurt I use 3-4 layers of cheese cloth.

For a good sauce I use 6 ozs plain yogurt, 8 ozs sour cream. One large cucumber peeled and deseeded, chopped and then wrapped in thick paper towels and squezze thew liquid out. Juice from half a lemon,Couple TBS diced fresh chopped dill and some black pepper. If your schedule allows do the day before and place in refrigerator.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    He is the gyro master. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in for you.
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    I guess the cucumber was obvious I just couldnt envision it.

Love your Sig Line..
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    My wife makes yogurt and she drains it to make it thicker. We found the least expensive and most effective way to do this is to place two layers of paper towel in the bottom of a wire mesh strainer and allow it to sit for at least two hours(we like the yogurt very thick)in the fridge. She actually prefers to use paper towels over cheese cloth. I plan on making pita's on the egg this weekend. You can't beat a fresh baked pita for a gyro.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've made gyros many times, used Alton Brown's recipe. You can get it on food network. -RP

IMG_0778Small.jpg
    IMG_0779Small.jpg
  • Lerxst
    Lerxst Posts: 17
    Options
    I'll be doing Alton's recipe again this weekend. It's fantastic.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    A tea towel is a thin dish towel. A bath towel has all the nice fluffy pile on it to make it soft on your skin. A tea towel does not. It is has a smooth surface. All those decorative towels you see in souvenier shops with maps or pictures printed on them are tea towels.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    RP,

I remember that you posted this a cook/recipe a while back, and that is why I ended up getting a heavy duty KA food processor last year. I'm inspired to break it out to do some gyros now.

Thanks!
  • QPete
    QPete Posts: 32
    Options
    For the yougurt sauce, look for Greek Yougurt, this will eliminate the draining stepp.

If you can not find Greek Yougurt, look for one without any thickening agents, such as starch, gums, etc.

When I can't fing Greek Yougurt, I drain mine overnite on the kitchen counter, not on the fridge, it seams to drain better.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OK Rooster cough up the pita recipe and the yougurt :) I used to make yougurt as a teen and it was so much better than what you can buy. I have looked at the yougurt makers they sell now but I did baby food jars in a warm water bath if i remember right?
  • Unknown
    Options
    My wife picked up one of the 1 quart yogurt makers off the internet about 3-4 months ago. It was about $20. I will post the pita bread recipe when I post pics of the cook. There is a Gyro shop in Peoria that makes fresh pitas when you order. I saw them making them in there brick oven so now I am trying to reproduce them on the egg.