Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rinsing Egg

Options
johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last two weeks I was scraping paint off my house with a paintshaver pro. This has created a bit of paint chips/dust all around the house, and all over my eggs. I rinsed off the tops, but was wondering if anyone rinsed out the insides, or if I should just use a sponge and rubbing alcohol?
My eggs are waiting for new gaskets, and my house was built in the 1920s with probably 10 coats of paint. Who knows whats in that paint, and I really don't want to cook in the eggs till I clean them out.

Thanks!

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    The ONLY way to clean your egg is to load up with fresh lump, open the bottom and top full. Lite that sucker up and go get a few beers. If you platestter is dirty, throw that in too
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you had the ceramic cap on the egg and the bottom vent shut there shouldn't be anything in the egg other than what was in there before.

For the inside use a vacuum. Maybe use a dry scrub pad or the like, then vacuum.

You don't want anything soaking into the ceramic's.

GG
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Good point smarty pants..Then fire that sucker up!... :P :P :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I'd be concerned. If your house was built in 1920 and had 10 layers of paint chances are 100% that paint was lead based. Lead based paints were outlawed in the 1970's, if I remember correctly. I'd vacuum everything I could, wipe it out as good as possible and then fire it up and burn 2 or three batches of lump BEFORE I put anything in it to cook that is unless you are not adverse to lead poisoning.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ...into he ceramic's what?

hehe heheheh

(signed: the apostrophe police)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    how's it getting in?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks alot.

GG

ps.. yes I know
  • stike
    Options
    aw you.

yer no fun anymore
    >sniff
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    My daughter has a house built in 1914. They scraped the paint off the outside and the county came and tested for lead. It was everywhere due to the dust generated. It took close to a year of constant vacuuming, washing, dusting, etc. to get the lead levels in the house down to acceptable levels. As I said, I'd be concerned.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Dang, tough crowd Kent :silly:
  • stike
    Options
    i'm sitting in the radon filled basement of a lead painted house with a lead pipe bringing in city water, and alcohol being filtered through my liver.

last thing i'm gonna worry about is the egg.

(just goofing, and bonus points for your being prudent. cheers)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Stike,

Tell me in which direction I should look to see the glow. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was just voicing my concern. I had two granddaughters in the lead dust.

Best regards,
    Rich
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    Pretty much my concern with the egg, hence the question. I Didn't scrape the house, had a vacuum attach tool hooked up to an Oneida dust system(threw out 30 5 gallon buckets of paint and sawdust from this project).
    Wife and kid were sent outta town. I showered outside with the hose, and left clothes outside. Threw out my clothes when I finally had the house scraped and sanded. Oh and windows and storm windows were closed for the whole two weeks and then some.

Also power-washed the house, and outside of the egg(not close range mind you) and mulched over everything on perimeter of house.

As I want to use the egg and there was no gasket on it, i suspect something got into it, so I'll scrub and cook it. Just didn't want to have to do a high temp burn to clean it as lead vaporizes at a low temperature, exactly what I was hoping to avoid.