Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Car Radio Wiring Harness

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I buy the wrong radio/CD player for my spa, can anyone tell me if the wiring harness connector to the radio is universal? In other words can I replace a Kenwood with say a Pioneer radio and not have to replace the harness?

Spring "Real Tiny Bubbles And Lawrence Welk Music" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leroy I just checked with our #1 mech. and he said in most cases you can swap blank to blank as they use RCA hookups. If not we run down to radioShack and for very little money you get an adeptor(?). But most in cars swap easy on the electric parts (its the brackets that are hard to fit).

ps: watch the BIG bubbles :woohoo:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    This connector is flat and has about 20 pins similar to an old printer cable on a computer. No RCA type plugs.

Spring "Old Technology In An Even Older Chassis" Chicken
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    What type of audio input do they have on your spa?If a multi pin molex type of connector is used you might have a problem.Most of them are wired up in a different manner.Forget Radio Shack as they stopped carrying car sound four years ago.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My guy said we are out as it sounds very radio specific.
    Sorry, now if your car needs changing :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Leroy, take the old unit to the store with you and see if they match. -RP
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Here's what the harness input cable looks like:

Carstereoharness.jpg

And it fits into this:

Carstereoback.jpg

It's a Kenwood KDC-132.

I can get an almost exact duplicate from Kenwood but I like some of the new features on other brands.

May just have to contact Kenwood.

Spring "Not So Round Peg Into A Not So Square Hole" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    kids at the audio places are smart :laugh: well smarter than me at this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Good idea Randy. Wonder why I didn't think of that? Oh yea, probably because my 'thinker' isn't working well these days.

But my 'thanker' is. So thanks.

Spring "A Little Bit 'a Think'n Is....... (where was I??? Oh yea!) Tiring" Chicken
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    I replaced the stereo in my car about 6 months ago with little problem. I got it from Crutchfield and included an adapter to go from the new stereo to the wiring harness in the car. You won't need the adapter but with very little work you should be ok.

The radio will come with the connector which should have 5-6 wires about 8" long with stripped ends. They will be for power, ground, speakers and most likely for a power antenna. All you should have to do is cut off the original connector and splice the correct wires together.

--Dave
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. I'm learning a lot about car stereo systems and I think I've pretty much got it figured out what I need to do. Just buy another Kenwood and it will likely fit perfectly.

Thanks again.

Spring "Confusion Can Be Enlightening" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You're absolutely right. They know so much about technology that they can be intimidating at times.

But some of them are patient around us old pharts and that's a plus. I think they actually invigorate our brains.

Spring "I Love It When You Talk Technology" Chicken
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Your first option would be to contact the spa manufacture and see if they have a plug with bare wires coming out that plug into your existing unit.Next would be get a schematic of what the wiring diagram shows for speaker and power hook ups are.See if Crutchfield has a adapter for your make,model and year of you spa that will a universal plug for any sound system.

More than not you will have one set of speaker wires if you just have left and right front.If you have a four speaker hook up there will be two sets of speaker wires.

The speaker cable will have a plus and minus for each speaker. The only other wire will plus and minus for the 12 volt power supply.

Contact the spa co and ask what color wires go to the speakers and power.The antenna is usually hooked up with a standard Motorola plug.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Short answer to your question Leroy is NO - all manufacturers have their own harness for speaker level outputs. Would be simplier if the whole world would go to HDMI!!