Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Chicken?

Options
OpusXcellent
OpusXcellent Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking the other day if anyone has done fried chicken on the egg? I know it would be dangerous with the open flame and temp control but it would be making it the old school way.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Search under post done by AZRP a few weeks ago. It was baked with corn flakes. I did it last week and it was delicious...almost like fried chicken... B)

I alos posted pics so you can look under my posts as well....but Randy's had the recipe
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Thanks Jerry. I was being lazy... :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    At $10.00 a bucket at KFC it's not worth the risk.
    I have taken so many pictures in the hospital burn unit of people burned from doing stupid things things.
    Please don't add to the list. At best it will make a big mess.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    I had it saved for a recipe to do. Haven't tried it yet but does look interesting. Randy is the chicken king.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I think a basic rule of thumb is to never introduce the EGG to more grease at one time than you are willing to see go up in flames. If memory serves correctly (which it doesn't always do any more)Lawn Ranger seemed to have had an bad experience with frying on the EGG. Stick with the "fake-frying" recipes on the EGG. They are healthier and safer.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I like to dust is with a 3:1 mix of flour and corn starch. Egg wash or buttermilk bath optional. Turns out just as crisp and tasty as any fried chicken without the greasiness.

I cook it raised indirect at 375-400* until done.

OntheEgg800.jpg

ChickenDone800.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    im not the voice of reason when it comes to deepfrying. it is dangerous on the egg. some things to watch out for if you do go this route. :blink: THIS IS A DOME OPEN ONLY COOK. you shut the dome and open it and the fire rises and it will catch on fire. you want no flames but hot coals. the way to do this is to get the egg stabilized about 600/650 then open the dome and shut the bottom vent completely. wait til the fire disapears. grapeseed or peanut oil has a higher flashpoint so go with one of those oils. after the fire subsides bring it up to temp, monitor the temp throughout the cook, if it starts to rise too quickly remove from heat before it gets so hot it starts to foam up. do this in an area away from anything that burns. have a backup plan like walking away instead of panicking and doing something stupid. i had a neighbor lose the skin on both arms, from elbows down to his finger tips completely melted off from a grease fire. it is dangerous but its dangerous indoors as well
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/100_1761.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That looks delicious Rod, alot less calories than frying. Thanks!!
    Do you add the seasoning to the flour mixture or put it on the chicken directly?
  • Low Country Egger
    Options
    That chicken looks amazing! I know you said that it is optional, but what is your opinion regarding an egg wash or soaking in buttermilk?
  • Fidel
    Options
    I like it both ways. The buttermilk bath is good if you like that tangy edge to your chicken.

Egg wash is not needed in my opinion because the dry ingredients stick to the bird and the internal fat of the bird makes it flaky as it renders. Kind of like frying the bird in its own fat.

You can also mix your favorite rub in with the dry ingredients to give it an extra shot of flavor.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Choice is yours. I like to add spices or rub to the flour, but it will work either way.

It also works good if you marinate the chicken - just let it drain on a rack for a couple hours before you dust it with the dry ingredients.

Another of my favorites is to marinate chicken in chimichurri for about 48 hours - the cook it the same way. The depth of flavor is great.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I have put oil in my wok and fried some chicken breast and vegys for chinese food on my large BGE. There is not a lot of oil in the wok and I try to be careful.. :
    pinch: :blink: :laugh: