Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my best ribs yet! but why the picture looks bad?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last nights baby backs were my best ever. The rub was a combo of Dizzy Dust, Witchy Red, and kosher salt. I finished them with Blue's Hog Sauce. I took this picture in total darkness, but with a flash of course.
IMG_0228.jpg

Note what appears to be yellow - and that is what I've seen in the past too - for some reason the surface grease appears yellow in a flash but doesn't show in natural light. Anybody know why?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Coming from you Ron, I believe they were your best ever. Sometimes pictures just don't do justice. I had that happen with mine the other night. They were absolutely beautiful but they appeared overcooked. As long as you rated them your best that's all that matters.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Different color temperatures of the light sources.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP,

They look good from right here. You can do colour compenstion in your photo program and then put them on photobucket or whatever program you are using to post. I know it can be done on photobucket too, I just don't know how.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Ron,

It doesn't look like the colors are too far off.

I am not sure if you are familiar with any photo editing software.

As I am looking at the picture it needs to have the shadows tonal range increased - this is pretty common. Many of the photos on the forum need this done.

Here are some quick adjustments you could make.

The tonnal range of the highlights could be decreased a little but it really isn't needed in this picture.

These changes can be easily seen by looking at the histogram in the camera or the software, if your software provides the graph.

In the shadows you could reduce cyan a little.

All in all rest of the colors look pretty good.

Check your email in a few minutes and I will send you a copy with those two quick changes.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    sunlight makes a huge difference, most of my cooks are in the dark it seems which makes it tough. the huge metal halide bulb in my kitchen doesnt help either. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Ohhhh, so that's how all your pics look so good. That's kind of like cheating, don't you think.
  • Nice!! Even in the dark they still look good. Interesting mixture of rubs too.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Ron,

I sent the picture to the email address I had for you. The email was rejected. Bad email address or rejected.

If you want to see the picture email me an email address.

kentja 'at' comcast.net

Kent
  • try setting the WB (white balance) to Flash mode.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Looks like the camera is auto changing or is auto sensing the white balance. There is no overall off color in the picture.

As it appears to me...

GG
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I just finished a steak for lunch and your ribs still made me hungry.
    The human eye and brain are amazing. They can auto color balance almost anything seen in real life. Strange how this process does not work as well on a print or computer screen. Colors are captured by reflected light coming off an object. Liquid of any kind can change the color of light depending on how well the different colors of light pass through the liquid and bounce back to the camera.
    The liquid grease is also bouncing back a little color from the brown-yellow color from the under side of the ribs being lit from the flash bouncing off the foil.
    Electronic flash is very fast and can bounce all kinds of unwanted colors onto your subject. This is why most photo studios walls are black, white or grey.
    The food pictures on this site are the best...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i also sampled the brightest value, which would be his "white", and although it was the highest tonal value, it was still in the "yellow" range.

that wouldn't do anything other than give the whole image a slight yellow cast (maybe there was a porch light on somewhere nearby?), but it wouldn't make for as drastic as change as to turn white fat yellow and leave other things alone.

photoegg is right, i think. our eye can adjust for things on the fly. it will "make" something white that it knows is white, and we will therefore see it as "white" even if it isn't. the camera 1.) doesn't care, and records what it sees. and 2.) can't see as great a range as we can.

...now, if you set up a tripod and made an high dynamic range picture of the ribs.... hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    you have email - I've been away since posting this question. I'll have to look into the address problem.
  • RRP
    I just checked my profile and the address there is correct as you'll see from my email. I have long said the email patching through this board only works occassionally!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

I don't do anything to the pics. I take about ten shots of each and pick the best one. I would like to learn more about my camera though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    The address I must be an old address for you.

I received your direct email and I resent the picture.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    I agree, very few (if any) emails sent via the forum are received.

Kent
  • RRP
    Thanks all! I think I get what Darian and stike were saying. BTW there was no porch light nearby - in fact it was practically pitch black except for the glow from the lump inside. I took 3 un-aimed shots just pointed and got that one I posted. BTW the white in the picture is actually the foil wrapped around the plate setter so that would be reflected flash - right? I just came to the conclusion that it was the grease that was yellow, because of how the unburnt grease droppings appeared yellow on the foil.

Just the same those ribs were terrific and I confirmed that at noon as I had some left over since Pat doesn't care for ribs!
  • Grandpas Grub
    I just sent you another revision.

Kent
  • RRP
    I'm sure learning something new today - both of us are on Comcast and here it is 15 minutes or more since you said you sent a 2nd and it's still not here! So much for being on the same server, huh?
  • Grandpas Grub
    That is really odd.

Check your junk email. Your emails to me went into the junk folder.

I will resend both emails with delivery confirmation and we will see what happens.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Both emails have been resent.

Kent
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah, the reflected light was the flash. that's why i sampled it. looks like the flash has a yellow cast. makes sense.

but i don't think it's enough to change the fat orange
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Do you think the greasy, oily fat may pick up some color from the rub, smoke, natural rendering blood and BBQ sauce. It also sits up raised like a bubble and will pick up color from the surrounding area as the camera strobe reflects light through the oil.
    Just thinking out loud. Light/Color refraction is far
    from my specialty.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas