Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chops, then butts...

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking some pork chops for dinner tionight at about 400 dome. After that I was going to throw on some more lump and toss on 4 7lb butts. Will there be a problem if the new lump gets lit from the bottom (from the previous cook)? I usually light from the top on my lo n slo cooks.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]This is my preferred method for doing low and slows. Just use a couple handfuls of lump to do your high temp cook. When you are finished, add you dry smoking wood and then fill with lump. Add your platesetter, drip pan, grid, and then meat. Shut down the vent on the bottom to a sliver/eighth inch. [p]Ashley
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Actually, Mike, this method works great. I have had the same situation on my last 2 low and slows. I just took the grate off after cooking dinner and loaded charcoal, plate setter etc. into the Egg and set my dampers where they needed to be. Worked like a charm.[p]Jim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Zip,[p]That is precisely my method for long cooks........ except I someday need to get one of those platesetters.[p]Woo