Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just torched my Nomex

SmokingLong
SmokingLong Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else torched their Nomex gasket? I installed a new Nomex gasket per the instructions about two months ago (although I did not run the gasket through the dryer) . I did several (probably 5-6) low temp cooks including a ten hour smoke. Went to do a self clean today where the dome temp got up to ~650 degrees. I opened up the BGE and found the gasket had burnt completely away in several spots. It now a complete loss. Don't know whether I should reinstall Nomex, switch to Rutland or just leave the lip bare. Any advice? Should I have cured the gasket with more low temp cooks?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    One secret for installing a new gasket is to install the upper first and then align/seal the dome using the dollar bill method. Once this is tight, now install the lower gasket and check for tightness.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    It sure would be nice to see some pictures.

650° shouldn't burn the gasket at all, maybe blacken it.

I have taken MAPP directly to a Nomex Gasket and had to put the Nomex into the flame tip to get it to actually burn and change shape.

A short distance from the MAPP flame only browned the Nomex.

gasketnomex1.jpg

gasketheatfelt.jpg

gasketnomex2.jpg

GG
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Well I will be damned, that looks like Poot Butts chicken wings there Kent! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    :laugh: Oh, that's just mean. ROFLMAO. He's not even here to defend himself.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    He will find the post...lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • SmokingLong
    Here is a pic of the burnt end - the Nomex is now just white ash.
    NomexTorched.jpg

Here is the set up for the self clean. I am wondering if the pizza stone directed the flames and heat toward the gasket.

MsgAttachment.jpg
  • Looks like you didn't glue it on properly and it fell in when you opened your egg.
    Yet another reason not to open the egg while it is doing its magic.
  • SmokingLong
    I think I applied the glue properly. I used 3m Super 77 and sprayed it on - just like the directions. Maybe I should have brushed it on and have let it cure more though low temp cooks.

Also, I was careful not to stretch the Nomex, but perhaps it shrunk in the high temp and became exposed to the flames. I see the experts on the board are no recommending a spin through the dryer prior to installation.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Long...As a suggestion...we have used Coltronix for years, and they have been totally bullet proof, regardless of temp! (And they are self adhesived...) Just my two cents. :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    That much of a burn of Nomex is surprising. Fred posted a remark about pre-shrinking the nomex in a dryer.

Looking at your setup the stone is down in the egg and there is quite a bit of space around the stone.

It would seem like the adhesive gave way, nomex falling/slipping/moving into the egg. Then a long roast on the nomex.

Thanks for taking the pictures.

GG
  • Well I just noticed this thread and references to my advice to preshrink the gasket.

We are still doing that on the nomex we install as that was recommended by an actual nomex expert.

Also, I have a couple of customers that installed nomex months ago using different methods of gluing etc and so far everybody's gasket is fine.

It really looks like yours pulled off and fallen into the fire.

So the question is ...did you spray the glue on both surfaces (edge of Egg and on the nomex material) then let it dry , then attach the gasket? If you only put glue on one part then it does come right off but installed this way .... so far there are many working fine. And we've sold hundreds of kits with no reports of problems... If you want to discuss further contact me off-list by email.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Fred,

Thanks for your work on the gasket issue. As new information is learned it would be interesting to see it posted here. If that isn't possible it would be great if at least it was posted on your site.

Kent
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    I agree with you GG, like for instance, how long is it recommended to heat a Nomex gasket in the dryer before applying?

Thanks!