Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE ripoff?

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was searching on Chicago's CL for more eggs for reelgem and I found a guy selling one for $450
and he was also selling this
http://www.saffiregrills.com/[/url]

This thing looks like a direct ripoff. Anyone know the story?

Comments

• You know what they say about imitation.... ;)

Besides, WE have Mad Max on the forum.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    With a minimum initial purchase of 144 cookers, I doubt we will be able to find any dealers in the near future...
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Little bit of (unpopular) news: The BGE itself is not an original design, that's why there is no patent on it, or any other ancient kamado style cooker.
  • Perhaps... however the ceramic blend used to fabricate it may either be patented or a trade secret.

And of course there is the "value added" by the forum. ;)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    History proves that tension in the marketplace leads to better products, better service and lower prices. I LOVE my BGE but there are some issues that I have with it. Without competition there is far less incentive to improve / keep quality high.

This is not to bash the BGE but only recognition that there are areas that could be improved. My list is as follows:

1) Gasket - This is by far the worst part of the BGE. Why if they sell an aftermarket gasket in nomex is it not standard? With this one the addition cost is very small and reminds me of the auto industry in the the 70's. Specifically they are selling something that they know has an issue but the market buys it so they sell it.

2) Vent: I don't like having to store the cast iron vent and would rather it be a very heavy duty stainless steel that could stand up to the weather.

3) Hardware / bands etc should be stainless wherever possible

I have always looked at new competitors in the ceramic grill as an opportunity for BGE to improve. The Bubba Keg grill seems to have a much better vent. Please understand that I have not found a better grill than the BGE and steer friends toward almost as strongly as a BGE employee but every ceramic grill is not a BGE ripoff.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Interesting post. If it were a "ripoff" or infringed on copyright/trademarks and such the legal eagles would be on it like a chicken on a June Bug.

If there were not competition in the world there would only be one car company. Oh, maybe one will be true again.

Anyway, looking at the pictures it seems pretty interesting.

I would hope BGE would take a good look at the site & pictures. There are some nice features that could be incorporated into the egg.

I really like the idea of the wood chip door and would be a great feature on the egg. The trap door on the grid is also pretty nice. If it were not for the warranty, I would have one of those in my eggs in about 10 minutes.

I got looking close to the bands and got to thinking with all the band slipping that some folks have and sometimes domes and or bases have to be replaced, then why not look into making an improvement here.

The ceramics are molded so the band will not slip up on the dome or won't slip down on the base. Redesign the mold so there is a channel the band sits in.

The band channel would eliminate up or down slippage on the bands even if the bands got a little loose. (I should get a free egg for that tip).

No more dome or base replacements should the ceramic band face be a little off 90°.

No more crashing at eggfests, egret style.

The upper vent cap is interesting in that it has inner clips to keep the cap snug. However, I like the DFMT being cast iron.

The channels on the lower vent look to be a little more crisp, however, and important feature missing there seems to be no spark screen.

Competition is good and everyone benefits including BGE.

my 2¢

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, that's not true. In 1966 Farhad Sazegar was issued a patent on the kamado type of cooker. It's somewhat humorous that a certain Richard Johnson claims to be the original patent holder, but in fact he was only awarded a design patent on his cooker. (A design patent only protects the appearance of the item. So, nobody can make a cooker that looks like yours, but but the actual function of your cooker is not protected.)

Ceramic Cooker Origins/Patents
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    too bad they didn't trademark the shape, color, etc.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    as much of a Certified Egghead that I am, I have to agre with Kent. I hope the mothership is paying attention. Take note from the computer industry.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I wonder if shape and or color could be trademarked?

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'm sure they thought of it... hahaha
    if they coulda, they prolly woulda
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Speaking of rip offs...All sources should always be cited.

Happy Memorial Day.
  • The Naked Whiz
    I believe only names and logos, etc. can be trademarked. The shape and color of the name/logo can be a part of the logo that makes it unique and trademarkable, but I don't believe you can trademark the color or shape of your product. That would require a design patent, as I understand it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    El Dirty that is so kind of you to be thinking of me.
    I do have to thank you for your post yesterday. that was a great deal, even Celtic Wolf agreed and that's very rare. :woohoo: :woohoo: This "Safire Grill" seems like a scam.
    I've got enough large eggs but if you see a deal on an XL, a small or a mini, please let me know. I would really be interested. Thanks again. I'll post pictures tomorrow when the new additon to the family arrives. Can't wait!!!
  • The Naked Whiz
    While I agree the gasket could be improved (and apparently has), I've had the cast iron metal tops and painted steel bands on my Eggs for 8 years and have had no problems with them. I leave them out in the weather, FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Here is one more

This one is made in China
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thirdeye,

Red? I would have to change my whole colour scheme :laugh: