Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding more smoking chips during a cook?

Options
TxAggie
TxAggie Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been doing briskets and ribs for a while now on my large BGE but one thing that bugs me is having to pull up / off the grate and plate setter with drip pan to add more wood smoking chips to the lump so I figured someone has a better idea?

Is there a grate available with hinges that opens up on the sides? How does everyone else add more chips during a cook?

Another thing is the amount of cooking surface area available. I have seen folks with raised setups but do they work well with ribs and being able to fit while being higher in the dome?

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    My hickory is in "chunks" and lasts thru most cooks. I have some apple chips on my ribs today and I'm sure thy're gone after 3.5 hours. I do have an ABP out for old apple and cherry wood that I can cut up into chunks.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I know some people have cut some holes in their grates to facilitate adding wood chips but I haven't seen a hinged unit yet. Not a bad idea though!

I drop my replenish chips in around the three gaps in the plate setter and then flick them around using the same tool I used to clear clogged holes on my cast iron grate. It's a simple skewer bent at the tip.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Use chunks instead of chip and disperse them throughout the lump. There really is not reason to try and add.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    After the meat hits 140 you quit adding a smoke ring. Probably most of the smoke flavor is there and you won't get any more.
    How many chunks are you starting with?

Mike
  • TxAggie
    Options
    I like the Jack Daniels chips when I do ribs but I do have some chunks of cherry & mesquite I occasionally use. I can stuff the JD chips through the grate but obviously can't with the chunks of cherry or mesquite.

If someone with some crafty skills wants to create a grate with hinges let me know ... I will test it out for you. B)
  • TxAggie
    Options
    When I use thee cherry & mesquite chunks I soak about 3 or 4 chunks for a few minutes then add them.

Can you get the JD product in chunks or just chips?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    All I use is Chigger Creek they are about an hour from the house. The only time I use chips is for cheese or poultry (poultry soaks the smoke flavor in so quick). Everything else is chunks. No need to soak with an egg. And depending on size, I use between 2-3 everytime.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    soaking is a waste of time and water. Lump burns at 1200 degs. plus. Water turns to steam at 212 degs. That white stuff you see when your egg is coming to temp is steam.

I have yet to see JD chucks. The chips are made from the barrel holding the booze.

Now if you want to waste good JD I suppose you could soak the chunks in JD. :laugh:
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    As stated, use chunks....however, that really doesn't answer your question. I would fashion a slide out of aluminum foil and drop the chips down the slide between the legs of the plate setter. No need to remove everything.

Hope this helps you.
  • TxAggie
    Options
    I thought the whole point of smoking was to smolder the wood so it lets off more smoke? What does the BGE do differently that makes it to where I don't need to soak vs a barrel smoker?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Really has nothing to do with the BGE itself. Soaking is a gasser trick that they believe works.

It is a real bad misconception if you don't see smoke you aren't getting any. Wood produces smoke from the time it starts to burn till it's complete ash. If you looking for that thick white smoke than all you are doing is adding rancid organic compounds to your food. YEECH.

You want the smoke clear or really light blue.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You do not want to smoke brisket more than 4 hours. It WILL turn the meat bitter..Follow Celtic's advice.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    A long time ago, Fidel suggested to me to make a slide out of foil to be able to get more chips in there without taking apart the whole setup.

Nowadays, I just mix in chunks with the lump, and there's smoke at different stages of the cook. Much easier!
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    celtic is 100 * right!just buring good smoke wood.
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm coming in late to the thread after a long hiatus from the Forum...

I generally add enough chunks and chips around the XL firebox to last throughout the cook (and usually see some leftover unburnt chunks when I'm done). But the easiest way I've found to add chunks is to use a long-sleeved silicone glove. I reach through the hole on the grid and grab the plate setter. I lift the plate setter up to about 30 degrees or so and it gives plenty of room to throw more wood on. It's not too steep to where the meat slides either. If I have a friend around, I can pick the whole plate setter/grid/meat combo up using two gloves and they can throw the wood on.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the BGE is airtight. in other cookers you soak the wood chips to keep them from burning up and bursting into flame, burning off quickly.

they can't do that in an egg because for them to burn they'd required oxygen. there is little spare oxygen in the egg, and the wood simply smolders. this is also why your chicken won't flare up at 400 direct, unless you open the dome.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante