Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Less than stellar BBQ results thus far...

2»

Comments

• Hi,Stike. If this is the case then he can still have the smoke and maybe release a little moisture.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Okay, we have something to go on right here, you've got 5 good sized chunks of mesquite and 5 more of hickory. Consider the ratio of chunk to lump for a moment. That's one friggin whole hell of a $%!^load of mesquite, topped with way too much hickory for any Egg cook. You are aiming for a completely unneccessary level of smoke on your meat.
    You are right about the combustion problem, and it's a problem you want to have, you'd never want to ignite that much chunk in an Egg. You get 95% of your smoke flavor from the lump in an Egg, what you add in very small amounts of chunks and chips is nothing more than subtley steering flavors to suit your tastes. For me, 5 chunks of mesquite will shave down to 5 years worth of briskets while the 5 chunks of hickory would last me 2 of those briskets and 3 shoulders after mixing with some apple, cherry, and blueberry.
    You should give some serious consideration to the possbility that you prefer more smoke than the norm. Not that there is anything wrong with that, you just might not find a BGE solution to this problem.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
    Citizen Q wrote:
    Okay, we have something to go on right here, you've got 5 good sized chunks of mesquite and 5 more of hickory. Consider the ratio of chunk to lump for a moment. That's one friggin whole hell of a $%!^load of mesquite, topped with way too much hickory for any Egg cook. You are aiming for a completely unneccessary level of smoke on your meat.
    You are right about the combustion problem, and it's a problem you want to have, you'd never want to ignite that much chunk in an Egg. You get 95% of your smoke flavor from the lump in an Egg, what you add in very small amounts of chunks and chips is nothing more than subtley steering flavors to suit your tastes. For me, 5 chunks of mesquite will shave down to 5 years worth of briskets while the 5 chunks of hickory would last me 2 of those briskets and 3 shoulders after mixing with some apple, cherry, and blueberry.
    You should give some serious consideration to the possbility that you prefer more smoke than the norm. Not that there is anything wrong with that, you just might not find a BGE solution to this problem.

Maybe, I will let you know how these come out. Hopefully they are not too smoky. With the old side firebox unit I would burn wood along with briquettes the entire cook sometimes using 2 bags of kingsford and 5 pounds of wood and it (brisket or butts) was never too smoky or acrid tasting.

Also as I mentioned earlier it was not so much the lack of smoke flavor as the general tastelessness of the meat. Maybe its just crappy meat to start with but I always buy it from the same Costco up the road.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Hey, I turn out crappy stuff all the time, trouble is, I usually turn it out in competition. I'd love to be able to square the blame solely on the meat, but this is usually not the case. People have suggested maybe if I didn't drink so much, but I am fairly certain that is not the problem either.
    No, I am convinced that lunar phases have total control of my pork butts and Australian Football Rules govern my briskets. I don't know squat about chicken, somebody else cooks that, and ribs are usually pretty damned good if someone can manage to wake me up in time to cook them.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
    Citizen Q wrote:

It is a lot of wood but I have a LOT of lump in as well, all the way up to the top of the fire ring nearly. About half of the wood is far enough down so it probably won't even burn but we will see. Hopefully it turns out great and makes me forget about the chargriller once and for all!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you did say in one post that the meat didn't have that "beef" taste...

the egg isn't going to make anything that isn't there to begin with. are you getting your meat from a different place??
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante