Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Country Ribs - Update

Options
Walter
Walter Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanx to all for the suggestions... here's what I ended up doing:[p]Found a recipe for a beef marinade consisting of oil, worschestershire, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, dry mustard, salt, pepper, ground cumin & parsley. Added a touch of paprika and A-1 sauce. Poured it over the ribs, sealed & refigerated for almost 3 days. Setup the EGG for an indirect cook using the plate setter and a drip pan with 2 grids. Got the temp up to 325 dome, added a couple of soaked Oak chunks and put the ribs on. Kept the dome between 325 & 350 and cooked for about 2 hours. During the last half-hour, sauced about half the ribs with Tony Roma's sauce. Great smoke ring on the ribs, the extra half hour really helped tenderize the ribs - when I tested at 1.5 hours they were a little chewey. At 2 hours they started to flake like a good brisket or butt. Not the best, but by all accounts of the wife and kids - not a bad meal at all. Compliments from all... so no complaints from me. One of my boys even had some of the leftovers for lunch today... and I'll be taking the rest to work tomorrow.[p]Don't think we'll be doing these again anytime soon. However, I'm thinking the marinade will be great on a tri-tip which is what I'll be trying in the next few days.[p]Walter

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Walter,[p]Beef ribs seem difficult to master. I am yet to attempt those, other then a few years ago when I just started out in the world of BBQ and boiled them before grilling <ducking from thrown stones>. But I will try those soon and keep what you did in mind.[p]ST
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Ribs are the easiest product to smoke. Marinate them overnight in a plastic bag filled with pineapple juice. Remove the membrane from the inside. Cover with mustard & add all the rub that will adhear to the mustard. [p]Smoke them at 225 for about 3 to 4 hours or until they bend easily when you hold the slab in the center with the tongs.[p]The meat shouldn't shrink much off the bones.[p]Do not...do not boil. Wrap them in 905 film & put them in a styrofoam cooler for an hour. You might want to baste them before wrapping.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Wayne Moorhead,[p]I do a similar method with pork spares. I was refering to beef ribs. They take longer to cook 'cause of high fat content.[p]ST