Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket

ebrooker007ebrooker007 Posts: 156
edited 11:23PM in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about 2 months and thoroughly enjoyed it. My problem is the gasket is nearly completely gone. Do these gaskets wear out this quickly? Should it be covered under some sort of warranty? If not what gasket should I buy?
·

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    depends on what your definition of "worn out" is.

Does the egg hold temps without problems? Does it shut down when you close the vents? If the answer to both is yes, then no worries.

There are literally hundreds of posts here about changing gaskets, the options, and the adhesive choices. Use the search window and you'll have enough reading material for a week.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    yea, kinda
    ·
  • smalljawssmalljaws Posts: 58
    If your egg is perfectly shaped and perfectly aligned your gasket should last quite a while. Mine is not. My gasket is reduced to char in 3-6 months depending on hown many high temp cooks (steaks and pizza)I do. I use Digi-Q on long cooks so I don't know for sure if it will hold a temp for > 6 h with the burned-out gasket. Otherwise my egg performs fine without the gasket, though I do worry about the lack of cushion and am carful when closing the lid.

You can replace with the normal felt type or with the new nomex which should hold up to the heat better, but I have not tried that gasket. A search will reveal a bunch of threads on the new gaskets with varying opinions.
    ·