Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Thick n Thin

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First whole brisket cook for me.

Wife just brought home a 13# whole brisket. Looking at the package one end is about an inch thick and the other is about 3 to 4 inches thick. I haven't cut open the package yet so I am just guessing the thin end is the flat.

It would seem the thin end is going to get done a lot sooner than the thick end.

Where do folks put the food probe and where do I measure the done temperature?

GG

Comments

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    I put it in the flat, and when the flat is done, I separate the point, keeping the point cooking till it's done.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Let me dig up a pic for you from the archives...I test at the thickest part of the flat for 190° or 'til the fork turns easily. I'll have a pic of the brisket for you shortly.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    You can see where I stuck the probes:
    IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thank you for the pictures.

From what I am seeing on my cut, I am guessing the thickest part of my brisket is the flat. Then on my cut the point is thin about 1/2" long but almost straight across.

It is thin enough that it will be done pretty early.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Warren,

On my cut, the thin part will be done much sooner than the thicker part. My cut looks a little like Mike's below. Right now my probes are in the thickest part of the brisket.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01863a.jpg

DSC01859a.jpg

Here is the same brisket the next morning...

DSC01878a.jpg

One of the things you have to watch for is the rear end being too thin. Just today I looked at all the ones in the meat case and asked to see more from the walk-in. I looked over 5 additional packers before finding one I liked. I've been known to cut some off when they taper to 1/2" or so.

That thin end will be drier for sure, but be sure to use a foil shield if it hangs over the plate setter. You can also tent the rear end during the cook too.

Yes, like BB mentioned, the thick part of the flat is where the probe goes. But don't rely on internal temp alone......monitor the tenderness with an ice pick.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I might be in real trouble with the cut we picked up. I am going to put up a picture in about 5 minutes or so. The thin end is very thin all the way through.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Here are the pictures.

The one end is about 1/2 inch thick throughout. I am still not sure which is the flat and which is the point.

packer1.jpg

packer2.jpg

packer3.jpg

Fat cap is down.

packer4.jpg

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Yeah, I see what you mean, that is a thin one.... In that bottom picture, the point muscle is on the left.

The two muscles, point and flat, overlap each other and sometimes the point is pretty knotty. (like yours) Depending on how it cooks, you may consider separating the two when the flat is done, then return the point to the cooker so it can cook down some more. And burnt ends are an option too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Wayne!!!

Spent most of the day trying to find a packer. Costco here doesn't have them, 2 Sams were out and couldn't find any at the Walmarts.

Gave up and got back home making a few calls. Found this at Albertsons, I was working on the egg and the wife went to pick it up.

After searching I didn't even think to check for thickness or look of the brisket. $40 mistake, not to mention the eats tomorrow.

I cut the grate temp back to 190° and will watch the flat and pull when it is tender. I might need to bump the grate temp early morning.

When the flat is done I will pull, separate and finish cooking the point. I'm going to jump over and read up on burnt ends.

Again, thanks Wayne.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Wow, you have 2 Sam's and a Costco? That must be nice.

Be sure and post some finish pictures, and even though I'm not cooking mine on the Egg this time, I'll post a few pictures of the cook (I'm doing it tomorrow). The worse part is I won't get to sample any. I'm doing mine as a test cook for a wedding rehersal dinner I'm cooking for in August. I wanted to let the host know what real brisket is all about.

Good night
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: "Wow, you have 2 Sam's and a Costco? That must be nice."

Actually 5 or 6 Costco's and 3 or 4 Sams and no Butchers.

I will get the results up, good or bad. Timing is going to be really off though.

Looking forward to seeing your cook.

Guess I will let the DigiQ do it's job and get some sleep.

Kent
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I did one like that last week. I cut it in two and cooked separately. Put the polder in the flat, and naturally pulled it first. Then shifted it (polder) to the point (my favorite).

Mike
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Kent,

Looks like I am 10 or 12 hours behind you, how did yours come out??

As promised here are some shots from this mornings brisket cook. I took a couple of it in the cryo, to show what I look for as far as shape and thickness. Then a seasoned picture and one on the smoker. (that's a 24" grate it's on) Of course the first thing to check is the grade. I'm up in the air on Sam's "Angus", it's only been stocked here for about 6 months.

DSC07774a.jpg

DSC07769a.jpg

DSC07770a.jpg

DSC07771a.jpg

DSC07778a.jpg

DSC07779a.jpg

DSC07783a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Mike, I am hoping I will be able to slice the flat even as thin as it is.

The Point being 3+ inches thick, I hope will turn out well.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Wayne, the pictures really help.

In your pictures, looking at the flat in the cryo even at the thin part yours is 2 maybe 3 times thicker than my thickest part.

I didn't look at the packaging on mine, I will pull it and see what's labeled.

It interesting on how light the seasoning is on your cook.

I bumped the grate up to 190° at 6:30 - smelling great no visable darkening of the bark as of yet.

10:30 now and 10 hours into the cook. Light rain and cool outside. Grate still at 190° and bark is darkening.

Towards the end of the flat 148° & tough. Mid cut on the flat 153° & tough. Center point 158° and somewhat tender - thermapen probe pushes in much easier than any place on the point.

In about 2 hours I will bump the grate temp up to 225°. We will see what happens in another 2 hours.

I am thinking I will end up overcooking the flat - it will be dryer but should be more tender in texture. Then concentrate on the point for the main focus on the dinner.

There is nothing like a cool morning, light rain, clear air and opening the egg and smelling an overnight brisket cook.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I'm using a Lockhart style seasoning on this one. Fine grain salt, black pepper and cayenne. In another 30 minutes it will be ready for another turn and I will add a little more. The way I use rub, I'd never make it as a TV celebrity barbeque chef would I. Heheeee.

You might not have to sacrifice dryness on that flat, if you monitor tenderness, and are willing to separate it earlier. The only thing is....the perfect window for doneness on a thin one is tighter than on a thicker one.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

"TV celebrity barbeque chef would I" No you never do. But what you do do always seems to turn out great.

I found a cayenne/salt/water seasoning recipe on the net and used it on steaks, hot dogs and burgers. I put the mix over the meat quite often until done. That mix was fantastic.

I am watching he temperatures every hour now. Last check 158° -/+ 5° in all areas. Point is still the most tender - that doesn't mean much at this point in the cook.

I plan on separating the flat when it is time. It seems like the brisket is in the plateau now. I think I am going to make some BBQ Beans or Ranch Beans as a side (or main depending how the brisket turns out).

Will you ever get a taste of the brisket you are cooking today? If so let me know how it turns out.

Out to check on my brisket now.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    How does the one you use compare to my Salt & Pepper Mop?

10 ounces of water
    3T kosher salt
    1T cayenne
    Wooster
    Olive oil
    (Barbefunkoramacue, one of my Texas resources – suggested some vinegar in there to open the pores of the beef)

Long story on the brisket....I'm cookin' for a wedding rehearsal in August and the host wants me to barbecue then freeze 5 briskets so they can travel, thaw in the fridge, then reheat in an oven at the hall they rented for this shindig. This is just a test cook, you could call it a dry run. I'll freeze this one following the rest. Give it to her next week and then she will duplicate the thaw and reheat on her own. I plan on stopping by and giving them some carving instructions. So......no samples for me today. But it sure does smell great. It's coming right along.....this is 5 hours into the cook.

DSC07795a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    It would be interesting to see how your project turns out.

I am about 15 hrs into the cook now. My brisket is about 165° in all areas, still tough with the point being more tender. There is not as much shrinkage as I anticipated. The bark is beginning to blackening. The moisture on the outside of the meat seems to be cooking off.

As thin as the point is, if there is a smoke ring on the point I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom smoke ring doesn't touch the top smoke ring.

The recipe is pretty close to yours. I pulled this from a guy I think is in Florida who makes and sells a whole pig cooker. I just about to buy one when I learned there was a thing called an egg.

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons salt
    1 Cup Water

I like the idea of the Worcestershire Sauce and the oil would make it so the mix wouldn't be so runny.

Last night I was wondering about putting salt on the brisket. Other than flavor, if briskets tend to be dry wouldn't adding salt draw out moisture and aid in the meat being dry.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    15.5 hrs

Flat close to the end is 182° Mid, flat and point 172°.

Increased grate temp from 190° to 220°.

packer-5_15-hrs-into-cook.jpg

Kent
  • eggciter
    eggciter Posts: 10
    Options
    :cheer: Good Luck; i will be smoking my first brisket tonight!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Done and pulled. Flat hit 197° and was tender so I separated and foiled the flat and left the point to cook.

packer7_point.jpg

Pulled it the point when it hit 197° and it was more tender than the flat.

Flat cut it was tender, good flavor and not terribly dry but can be seen not moist like some of the pictures on the forum.

packer8_flat.jpg

Close up of the flat cut. I don't think this was much different in being moist or flavor than doing a flat alone. I used apple wood but not much of a smoke ring to speak of and not a lot of smoke flavor in the flat.

packer8_flat_closeup.jpg

The 'boys' had 4 or 5 servings, and the 'grils' had at least 3 each.

The flat was polished off with nothing tossed or non eaten. I guess it was a success.

I would like to get a nice moist brisket cook.

GG
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Here is how mine finished out. I foiled, rested 2-1/2 hours and into the freezer.

DSC07805a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That really looks nice.

Kent
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You are looking good Kent,

I am at 18 hours at 215. The flat is at 183 and the point is at 173. I will keep the brisket together. These are some pics after the fist mopping. No bbq sauce or rubs were used. This was just a simple old school cook.

001-1.jpg

The bark is forming very well without the use of any sugars..

003.jpg

I hope to pull in a few hours.. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    seperate the point and stick it back on for an hour or two. Good burnt ends, rookie!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    When you cook at 215 or lower the temp dif between the point and flat are not that far apart. Worst case is you loose 3 to 4 inches of the thin part of the flat....
    If the beast will not play along, then I will seperate. If I was in comp I would pull the flat and throw the point back on for 2 to 3 more hours and chunk them up.
    Rookie? You funny man! and when was the last time you posted a whole brisket? You very funny man! :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Your brisket and Wayne's brisket look is much better than mine. I just talked with Wayne and he didn't mop.

My bark was dry looking and pretty hard (great taste though)

What did you use for mopping and how often?

I am thinking I had the wrong grate & cut of meat as well as cooking at too low a grate temperature.

I need to look at my notes but I am pretty sure I wasn't over 190° grate until 15 hours into the cook and the flat & point were about 175° or so. I then bumped to 220° grate.

Throughout the cook the bark never looked fully moist like yours and Wayne's pictures do.

Kent