Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Butt Question

4ara4ara Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 15 lb pork butt on at 9 am at 215 degrees in hopes that I will wake up tomorrow with it being done at 196 degrees. I am 5 hours into the smoke and the digiQ is telling me that the meat is already 152 degrees. I figured a repositioning of the probe would give me a lower reading. It did not. I lowered to pit temp to 200 degrees in an effort to slow this down. Any advice is welcome to avoid having this hit 196 degrees in the middle of the night. Thanks. Robert

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,171
    The meat temperature does not rise steadily. The meat is approaching the "plateau." At about 160, the connective tissue begins absorbing heat, and the temperature rise will slow to a crawl. The meat will stay between 160 and 180 for many hours. The temperature may even drop. My experience is that at least half the time is spent in the 20 degrees of the plateau range.

I'd return the temperature to what you had. Its not impossible that the butt won't be done by midnight, but the standard recommendation isd that with a dome of 250, a 15 ln. butt could take 30 hours.

You can leave the butt in till it reaches 200. I've double foil wand towel wrapper a 9 pounder in a cooler with a jar of hot water, and had it at 160 5 hours later.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    First of all, where did you find a 15 lb butt? That is what a whole large shoulder weighs. Second where did you clip the pit temp probe? If it is down at grate level you will be alright at 200. About the only thing you can do to avoid getting up to pull it during the night would be to put it in the ramp mode with the target temp of 196. -RP
  • PancakesPancakes Posts: 45
    That's a big pig butt. I would let it ride at what's stable. I am cooking one right now and I spent most of Saturday evening chasing the temp. I have been adjusting the temp to hit my target time for the 1st annual neighborhood butt throwdown. I hope this works for the both of us.

This is only my second butt. The first 8# took 18:27 minutes. This 6.78# is approaching 18:38 because I chased the temp all night. I would set it at 250 and just let it roll.