Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket disappointing

Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,699
edited 9:05AM in EggHead Forum
My brisket took eleven hours @ 220° to 230° to 187° internal and it was disappointing. Tender but disappointing. This time I used my own rub concoction. I tried to keep salt to a minimum. Apparently that is not a good idea. It tasted bland, like it needed a salt kicker. Anyway, it was pretty while cooking and my Egg purred like a well tuned engine the whole time. This disappointment was strictly my fault. Well, that an the fact that my horoscope said I was going to screw up today. That's why they make tomorrows.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

·

Comments

• Spring Chicken,
    Add a great q' sauce, or chop it for mexican dishes. I bet you won't be di****ointed. It will also make a great substitute for browned ground beef in your favorite recipes. I always smoke mine pretty heavy with hickory and pecan. I apply a heavy rub that's got lots of salt and sugar in it. Great bark. I prefer it to steak.[p]SS

·
  • nikkignikkig Posts: 514
    Still Smokin',
    I agree. If it's not too good by itself, doctor it up. One of our favorite ways for leftover london broil is to marinate it for fajitas. [p]How'd you get the stars in the title??[p]~nikki

·
  • nikkig, My favorite for di****ointments is to stew the shredded meat with LOTS OF GARLIC and make gyros! Very fine with too much tzaziki(sp), feta cheesa and onions. Man I think I like the dis****oinments as much as the successes!

·
  • mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Spring Chicken,[p]I don't think I've found ANYTHING that tops Elder Ward's brisket rub. One recipe is great for a good size brisket..halve it for a smaller one or it is overwhelming. Only has 4 T of kosher salt for a full size brisket which really isn't bad (I don't do salt well either). You have to have a little salt in there. Just brings out...something.[p]You'll find something yum to do with that brisket. I even found those inedible bottom round roasts end up being fine when cut in chunks for a nice meat salad (have Atkins, will travel ;-D)[p]mShark
    ·
  • nikkig,
    It's my privacy control on Norton Firewall. i must have that letter combination marked as a private thing. Usually it only gets me on my zip code. SS

·
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 515
    Spring Chicken,
    We also did a brisket yesterday. All worked as you described producing a brisket (6 #'S)at 199 deg after 6 1/2 hrs at 235. In contrast to yours, our flavors were great, but I should have pulled it at 190: just a bit dry. Great bark and smoke ring from a 50/50 mixture of DP's Cowlick and Charcrust's terriyaki ginger. Smoke came from two handfuls of dry JD barrel chips. Looking forward to the next one; I'm sure that you are too.

·